Strutting your stuff.

Web Galleries of Individual Members Collections

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, mystical_tutor

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:51 pm

A museum would be awesome but such things are quite complex to house and WotC has toyed with the idea a couple times (before Hasbro). There are many worms in the bucket though.

My idea was not for large displays or even expensive ones, however, those would certainly be wonderful.

Actually, displays that could fit in one or two locked display cases would be most manageable.

One idea would be to have:

One booth with closed displays. Those could be locked table display cases, something like my flipping display, a wall mounted, glass covered case or something like that.

One of us would be at the booth during the hours the exhibition hall was open (shifts of course). At night the place is locked up and has roving security guards.

Displays could even come and go. A collector that wants to show his stuff for only one day and spend the rest of the time enjoying the Con or what ever the event is.

Buying and selling would be the most touchy subject as we all would want the opportunity to find new stuff for our collection and move some things we have extra. I for one, though would not want to see the idea degenerate into front for a card shop.

This may not be doable but I sure am interested in the thought expressed and ideas you have put forth.

An option is that if even just one other collector wanted to get together with me and plan/implement some variation of this, please let me know.

Gary

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:02 pm

The whole idea makes me think of a Convention of fans like Star Trek.

An MTG Convention would be awesome. But there should be one in Europe, and one in the US.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:49 pm

magic-belgium wrote:The whole idea makes me think of a Convention of fans like Star Trek.

An MTG Convention would be awesome. But there should be one in Europe, and one in the US.
Don't forget asia-pacific! Show some love for the Southern Hemisphere!

I would travel to see the convention but I would have to go alone.

Fiber13
Librarities Member

Post by Fiber13 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:A museum would be awesome but such things are quite complex to house and WotC has toyed with the idea a couple times (before Hasbro). There are many worms in the bucket though.
I've worked in two art museums. The funding streams would prohibit it from being large unfortunately. Museums need donations and mtg hasn't quite gotten over the philanthropic hump to get there.
Perhaps in 5-10 years there could be a Imaginative Realism or SFF museum specifically on games. It'd have to be small though.
A gallery on the other hand? Quite easy to do.

I think Kansas City during Spectrum is very, very realistic. Maybe have a small gallery show near the convention. In the convention hall will be tough as displaying and selling widely differ.

I love the idea though.

Could happen nearby during GenCon quite easily actually.

If I ever get around to doing an alpha art show, playtest cards will have to be included and such.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Okay. If anyone puts their foot forward on that, I've got a couple hundred playtest cards (several from The Dark too).

My favorite is an ugly Swamp. It's a goofy looking hand drawn tree. I met Richard Garfield. He said "oh, I drew that!" I suggested he sign it. He drew notes coming out of it and said "look, now it's a Singing Tree!"

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 am

I'd be willing to donate for display (on loan from the Sdematt collection :-P ) some Beta stuff, but I don't have any unique stuff like you guys, unfortunately.

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands