Questions / Comments for Crazy Clown Collectors

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

Post Reply
hammr7
Librarities Legend
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: Southern New Jersey

Questions / Comments for Crazy Clown Collectors

Post by hammr7 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Questions / Comments for Crazy Clown Collectors

1. Has anyone ever seen a Series 1 Zombie token? Might the 4 x 3 pack (noted in Rarities Crazy Clown cover page) mean 4 each of the three other Series 1 tokens?
2. Has anyone ever seen a Series 2 Goblin token, or a Series 2 Pegasus token? Might the 2 x 8 pack (noted in Rarities Crazy Clown cover page) actually be a 2 x 6 pack (resulting in the 12 total tokens in a pack, like in the Series 1 pack)?
3. Has anyone ever seen any “dark” Series 7 tokens or any Series 8 tokens with the gloss coating on the wrong (back) side?
4. Which Series 7 tokens are harder to find, the “light” version or the “dark” version.

I ask these questions to help me expand on some trends I’ve noted in my collection. I have recently had the opportunity to evaluate many hundreds of Crazy Clown tokens from various sources. One such group of tokens are purported to be the cache that Arai Jin was forced to divest after Wizards obtained a "cease and desist" order against him. Based upon the variety of tokens in this collection, and their condition, I would be willing to believe the claim is true.

Having this large number of tokens allowed me to perform some very in-depth evaluations on my entire collection of tokens, including those obtained from all my prior sources. I can verify that virtually all notable reprints (legitimate and otherwise) appear to involve only 7th and 8th Series tokens. I have found no credible evidence that any other series was reprinted (at least not systematically) beyond the original desires of Arai Jin.

I still have a bit more work to do, and would greatly appreciate feedback to the above questions before I provide additional results and conclusions, especially regarding 6th, 7th, and 8th Series tokens.

User avatar
Magic61983
Librarities Legend
Posts: 1085
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: Willowdale, PA

Post by Magic61983 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:46 pm

I believe my friend has a few of the missing ones. I'll have to get a hold of him to see what he has.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

the swiss
Librarities Legend
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Post by the swiss » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 pm

1 - NO
2 - NO
3 - NO
4 - perhaps the light version

the swiss
Librarities Legend
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Post by the swiss » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:06 pm

More details to the questions:

1 and 2 : I am missing also this cards but I have a foil testprint PEGASUS from the second edition, round corners and Magic-Back, no star.

I think that the normal PEGASUS and GOBLIN must exist (second edition) and the ZOMBIE (first edition) also.

Error on the pictures PROMOTIONAL:

Minion Token and Squirrel Token have round corners (not square) and Magic-Back (not white back)

hammr7
Librarities Legend
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: Southern New Jersey

Post by hammr7 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:29 pm

the swiss wrote:More details to the questions:

Error on the pictures PROMOTIONAL:

Minion Token and Squirrel Token have round corners (not square) and Magic-Back (not white back)
Do you mean the normal back as for a regular Magic Card? That was always my understanding for the two PROMOTIONAL tokens. That is what accelerated Wizards to file the injunction.
the swiss wrote:1 and 2 : I am missing also this cards but I have a foil testprint PEGASUS from the second edition, round corners and Magic-Back, no star.
If so, I would think it wasn't a second edition test print, but rather the 1st / 2nd series Pegasus artwork test print for another PROMOTIONAL token. The only Magic-backed Crazy Clown tokens I was ever aware of were the PROMOTIONAL ones. In either case it is very rare. But I am not certain it confirms the existence of the 2nd Series Pegasus. In 1997 - 1998 Arai Jin was still working with white-backed tokens. By 2000 - 2001 Arai Jin was sophisticated enough to always include the illustrator information on every token. So even if he took the 1st Series Pegasus artwork, he would have added the illustrator information.

Still, the existence of your Pegasus foil seems the best evidence that the 2nd Series Pegasus might have existed.
the swiss wrote:I think that the normal PEGASUS and GOBLIN must exist (second edition) and the ZOMBIE (first edition) also.
I would feel better about this if someone had an original package or a copy of either.

the swiss
Librarities Legend
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Post by the swiss » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Magic-Back = normal back as for a regular Magic Card

Foil with Star, round corners, regular Magic Card back:

Squirrel (fourth series)
Minion (third series)

Known as PROMOTIONAL-Cards


Foil no Star, round corners, regular Magic Card back:

Essence (second series)
Pegasus (second series)
Zombie (second series)
Minion (third series)
Saproling (third series)
Sliver (third series)
Squirrel (fourth series)

others ???


hammr7: Hope this help for your big work

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 am

the swiss wrote: Minion Token and Squirrel Token have round corners (not square) and Magic-Back (not white back)
Hi
While I can't change the scan with Round Corners, the back has been changed at least.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Questions / Comments for Crazy Clown Collectors

Post by dragsamou » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 am

hammr7 wrote:Questions / Comments for Crazy Clown Collectors

1. Has anyone ever seen a Series 1 Zombie token? Might the 4 x 3 pack (noted in Rarities Crazy Clown cover page) mean 4 each of the three other Series 1 tokens?
2. Has anyone ever seen a Series 2 Goblin token, or a Series 2 Pegasus token? Might the 2 x 8 pack (noted in Rarities Crazy Clown cover page) actually be a 2 x 6 pack (resulting in the 12 total tokens in a pack, like in the Series 1 pack)?
3. Has anyone ever seen any “dark” Series 7 tokens or any Series 8 tokens with the gloss coating on the wrong (back) side?
4. Which Series 7 tokens are harder to find, the “light” version or the “dark” version.

I ask these questions to help me expand on some trends I’ve noted in my collection. I have recently had the opportunity to evaluate many hundreds of Crazy Clown tokens from various sources. One such group of tokens are purported to be the cache that Arai Jin was forced to divest after Wizards obtained a "cease and desist" order against him. Based upon the variety of tokens in this collection, and their condition, I would be willing to believe the claim is true.

Having this large number of tokens allowed me to perform some very in-depth evaluations on my entire collection of tokens, including those obtained from all my prior sources. I can verify that virtually all notable reprints (legitimate and otherwise) appear to involve only 7th and 8th Series tokens. I have found no credible evidence that any other series was reprinted (at least not systematically) beyond the original desires of Arai Jin.

I still have a bit more work to do, and would greatly appreciate feedback to the above questions before I provide additional results and conclusions, especially regarding 6th, 7th, and 8th Series tokens.
1 - YES
2 - NO
3 - NO
4 - Maybe the light version
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests