MTG Heist

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

MTG Heist

Post by dry cereal » Tue May 07, 2013 3:20 am

This Sunday some guy had a LOT of cards stolen from his car at the tourney I was at. Here is a description so you can stay on the lookout and avoid buying stolen goods:

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/commen ... nj/c9t2kuq

Samite_Healer
Librarities Hero

Post by Samite_Healer » Tue May 07, 2013 4:30 am

I know the person who had his stuff stolen, and I was shocked to hear about it. As someone who used to travel to frequently to GP's and other large scale events, I've always been concerned about the possibility of someone breaking into my car while I've had stuff in the trunk.

With the way prices have jumped in the past 3-5 years, our hobby has become more dangerous and I've spoken with many dealers and industry veterans about the problem. I used to have tables at some of the events years ago and we used to joke about how there was probably a million dollars worth of Magic cards at the event. Today, there are literally tens of millions of dollars in value at every GP.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:16 am

Sadly, this kind of thing seems to be cropping up more and more lately.

I feel bad for the guy, I really do, as I know what it's like. I had a collection stolen from me years ago in my own shop! Probably not worth more than a grand or two though.

With that being said, who brings that kind of value with them to an event? Did he really need to have 16 Underground Seas on him? I didn't add up all the numbers but it looked like roughly $75-100K. I don't know about everyone else here, but I start getting uncomfortable when I'm carrying $500 or more in cash in my pocket. I couldn't imagine walking around with (or leaving in my car) $75K!

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:02 am

I have a 4" binder worth over 150k.
With three sets of Beta, one set of Alpha, Unlimited, three sets of A. Nights, Legends.
Then about 250 Summer, 80 extra dual lands and about 200 more money cards. (Anything over $100)
But it's in a case that's everything proof and when I do move around with it I have a buddy with me and we both have permits to carry concealed firearms.
I would love to see a nerd try to steal it.. [-X :wink:
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Giediprime41 wrote:I have a 4" binder worth over 150k.
With three sets of Beta, one set of Alpha, Unlimited, three sets of A. Nights, Legends.
Then about 250 Summer, 80 extra dual lands and about 200 more money cards. (Anything over $100)
But it's in a case that's everything proof and when I do move around with it I have a buddy with me and we both have permits to carry concealed firearms.
I would love to see a nerd try to steal it.. [-X :wink:
I'm in the same boat as you. I don't go anywhere with anything of any value without being armed at this point.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:23 pm

The better solution is probably to not bring anything of such high value, especially if it's not explicitly getting traded, instead of having to potentially shoot someone. I think most sane people would agree with that.

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:51 pm

well for my part, I would be pretty uncomfortable to go to an event where a good amount of players are carrying a gun...

it's in this kind of situation where if feel the differences between our culture are really big :wink:
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:00 pm

ouallada wrote:The better solution is probably to not bring anything of such high value, especially if it's not explicitly getting traded, instead of having to potentially shoot someone. I think most sane people would agree with that.
I would rather have the option of defending myself then not, when it comes to bringing certain cards to an event. Most people know who I am and what I have which makes me a target.

The other problem is most of the time you don't know what you'll find at an event and is the reason why I normally bring higher end cards as well as the people that buy higher end things usually don't buy just one card.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:12 pm

I've seen this happen with other collectibles. Collectible coins went from novelties to ridiculous prices. A National show a decade ago had much more than $1 billion on display, with security so tight that even dealers weren't allowed near their booths off-hours. Everyone learned to adapt.

Baseball cards were the same way, at lower dollar amounts, in the late 80's and early 90's. I had dealer friends who went through the same problems when their suddenly-valuable collections and inventory went from curiosities to objects of criminal desire. After some had cards stolen from their booths, they rethought their retail strategy at shows. After a few had their cars robbed everyone caught on that security outside the show had to change.

So MTG has to adapt. When you go to a show/tournament you have to separate whether you are a player, or a collector, or a dealer. You can't try to be all three at the same time because it means you have too many distractions.

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:20 pm

effai wrote:it's in this kind of situation where if feel the differences between our culture are really big :wink:
Exactly what I thought as I read it. :-D

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:11 pm

I've been watching this thread (and MOTL variant) for some time...was really hoping to hear the guy got some sort of resolution in tracking things down. I agree that when playing in tournies, I really hate having my collection with me. Its like playing baby sitter.

Do you leave collection in hotel room safe? your car? I really struggle with those choices. Not just my collection, but my Laptop too. I absolutely have to travel with my laptop, and I always fear the worst for it. With how air security is you really can't have lockable suitecases anymore, even if you leave it unlocked for TSA folks they rarely respect an open lock.

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:25 am

effai wrote:well for my part, I would be pretty uncomfortable to go to an event where a good amount of players are carrying a gun...

it's in this kind of situation where if feel the differences between our culture are really big :wink:
Well I like to know that when I have issues things can stay safe.
I'm not a gun toting vigilante or anything, it's for defense only and i'm old enough to know guns kill.
I use to run a pawn shop so it's not my first gun show.. :wink:
My bud is scary enough to keep things chill most of the times anyways.
Besides it's concealed no one knows it's there.
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Giediprime41 wrote:
effai wrote:well for my part, I would be pretty uncomfortable to go to an event where a good amount of players are carrying a gun...

Well I like to know that when I have issues things can stay safe.
I'm not a gun toting vigilante or anything, it's for defense only and i'm old enough to know guns kill.
I use to run a pawn shop so it's not my first gun show.. :wink:
My bud is scary enough to keep things chill most of the times anyways.
Besides it's concealed no one knows it's there.
+1

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Not only a difference in our cultures but our individual mind sets. Many Americans are not comfortable with guns. They would just like to have the problem go away and not bother them. The reality is that some people are willing to do to you whatever it takes to take what you have. I wish they would all go away and not bother me, but history has shown that has never happened in any group of human beings.

In the US the level of threat must be met with an equal level of security. We have laws against "excessive force".

I don't take valuable things to places I can not secure them.

Cars and hotel rooms are NOT adequate security areas for anything of value. Most reputable hotels provide security at the front desk for small valuables (i.e. passports or envelopes). And small safes in the room. Binders can not be put in either (that I know of).

If it is valuable, don't travel with it unless you plan to carry it with you at all times.

So for us Yanks, it is a shoulder holster with our favorite defence piece. For Europeans is may well be a shoulder holster built for your Vintage deck....

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 pm

it's in this kind of situation where if feel the differences between our culture are really big

Ideally violence would be a non issue but in reality NOWHERE men exist together are they safe from one another.
"What if" all of France was heavily armed when the Nazis invaded you guys? "What if" ALL of the Jews were heavily armed when the Nazis were exterminating them all over Europe? Would the circumstances have been different?

Europe has seen more war/bloodshed than any other location in modern history... what's the "difference" in our culture that explains it? I myself, an American, was deployed in Europe to keep Europeans from killing one another. My grandfather was sent over to France to save your grandfather and grandmother (or maybe their parents) from the Germans. Why couldn't they save themselves??

Americans are heavily armed. It's a problem in some regards. On the flip side we saved Europe on more than 1 occasion because you weren't able to defend yourselves and still aren't able to defend yourselves...

I personally think everyone should carry weapons, like the Wild West days. If everyone carries guns then criminals won't survive very long... Similar to the "legalize drugs" argument this will never be a reality in our present state of society but I think it's the best scenario/deterrent barring everyone stops hurting one another.

Americans will always have a lot of weapons due to mainly events which occurred outside of America.