San Diego Comic Con Black-on-black promos

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:21 pm

I guess I am lost here.

Never been to SDCC.
I just assumed that Promo stuff there would be like promo stuff at GenCon where the WotC booth in the past just gave them away until gone or until the convention ended.

The difference here is that it is not a WotC location. It is the Hasbro Toy Shop. Which may be more like a store.

I would like a link to the on line listings. I can not find any on ebay.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm going with a lot of people so should be able to get several sets if it's limited to 1 per.
The guys I bought mine from are used to the Comic Con, and have supplied stuff like this in the past.

This just means some schmoes standing in lines all day long;) "Used to Comic Con" isn't a good thing...

They're still selling product they don't have so there's a risk, especially if something has a lot of demand-

I'll see how many I can get and post how bad it is on preview night.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks loads.

I'll see if I can find anyone going (from Colorado Springs??? not much chance) that I can lean on or bribe to pick me up some but please snag me some if it isn't too much trouble.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:58 am

Hey WOTC...enough already with the insanely limited promos/ boxed sets/ etc.

It's hard enough keeping up with 3.5 sets per year/ FTV/ duel decks/ FNM promos/ judge promos/ commander product/ etc./etc./ etc./

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:54 am

Collectors do not pay premium to WotC. Just resellers. And I have seen many people openning Modern Masters boxes just with the hope that they would open a foil tarmogoyf, Dark Confidant or similar to sell me or one of the few other collector. Not because they are or will play Modern.

And they are so unhappy that I offer them very low prices. But I just want to punish them. People continuously messaging me I have foil this or that, do you want t buy it... It is all because I pay fair when I buy. Unlike most that try to screw others in each and every trade.

I can see shops doing this but when many ordinary players are doing it, it makes me sick. I don't want a community that sees me just as an ATM on foot. All the effort we put in our collections needs a bit more respect.

And I hate people thinking they are smarter than I am, just because they open boxes and I keep mine sealed... I genuinely wish them to lose a lot of money by selling to shops for shop buying prices.

I tried a lot for local community, including writing e-malis to WotC numerous times to support local shops, judges and all. Gifted people cards, borrowed them cards, spent days going boxes of cards to find a crap common that suddenly became Modern playable so that they could compete in tournaments. And this is where they ended up...

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 am

When I got out of the Army I played at a local store called Thunder and Lightening Games (they advertized in the early Inquest/Scrye)- The player base was big and they did a lot of limited events. They had poor condition lands so I donated like 20K basic lands figuring that would last for a LONG time- the next week I go and sign up for sealed and they brought out the same crappy lands they always did. I ask "What happened to the boxes of lands I donated?".... The store sold all the lands, owner shrugged at me and smiled.

Everyone wants to be the guy who makes $$- When the "wonder" of the game wears off a lot of people get angry if they aren't winning all the time and angry if they aren't making some perceived $$ they think other guys are making... The quantity of nice/cool people diminishes.
People stop appreciating stuff.

I should be able to get several sets of these things- I'll post when I do. Anybody who previously ignored my trade inquiries will be ignored by me. I'll try and hook up anyone else on here.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:37 pm

I don't really think things have changed much.

I think some use WotC as a punching bag to redirect their frustration with their own desires.

What I see mentioned above has nothing to do with pieces of cardboard and everything to do with the one variable that creates the situation--people WE people.

A company does all it can to improve a bottom line so the investors will keep it alive. Should they be blamed for milking the cow that gives the most milk?

Collectors don't give the company milk--only sour cream. They give their milk to the secondary market (online and offline).

Players also give milk to the secondary market. I buy two boxes to make a set (with trading). Players buy a case to make complete play sets. Both of us pay through the nose for the those special cards we didn't get. That milk goes to the secondary market.

The company wants/needs to keep the secondary market happy. How best to do this? Make special things that sell well in the secondary world.

Our desires (player/collector/speculator) then drive all the rest.

They pay us back by helping us fill our "needs" such as giving us a location and opportunity to socially enjoy ourselves (if this wasn't important we would all be playing MOL) and strut our stuff (pimp decks or super cool cards).

We collectors are only a very small blip on that bottom line.

The situation random was in sucks. The shop would have seen me often after that. First for a very carefully worded "I" message delivered in person to the shop owner, then when each new product came out as I would drop by and pointedly announce that I would not buy any of it from them. Whatever they gained in selling those lands would have been lost many times over. There are jerks out there and they deserve to have everyone know it.

Gary

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:47 pm

chaosdjinn wrote:Hey WOTC...enough already with the insanely limited promos/ boxed sets/ etc.

It's hard enough keeping up with 3.5 sets per year/ FTV/ duel decks/ FNM promos/ judge promos/ commander product/ etc./etc./ etc./
I noticed there was only one Event Deck this last set. I have often wondered how long a $30.00 item would be of interest when seldom were there any really good cards in it that would work in other decks.

I dug out the event decks from New Phryxia (remember infest) and played with my friends last night. Good decks-- now worthless.

I wonder if the drop to one will drop to 0 with 2014? I see lists for the give away sample decks but I have not yet seen announcements for an event deck.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
chaosdjinn wrote:Hey WOTC...enough already with the insanely limited promos/ boxed sets/ etc.

I noticed there was only one Event Deck this last set. I have often wondered how long a $30.00 item would be of interest when seldom were there any really good cards in it that would work in other decks.

I dug out the event decks from New Phryxia (remember infest) and played with my friends last night. Good decks-- now worthless.

I wonder if the drop to one will drop to 0 with 2014? I see lists for the give away sample decks but I have not yet seen announcements for an event deck.

Gary
they were very popular, at least the one w/ the chase card(s) in it were. Retailers would price one over MSRP and one well under MSRP just so it would sell. The move to a single deck just makes more sense if they can't balance the cost of the cards included. They also are meant to be a jumping off point for people to play standard. For that, they are fine. OF course they are meant for standard so they are certainly going to be of little use after a short period of time. I don't see them going away.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:52 am

Looks very cool to me! :dance:

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 am

random wrote:I'm going with a lot of people so should be able to get several sets if it's limited to 1 per.
The guys I bought mine from are used to the Comic Con, and have supplied stuff like this in the past.

This just means some schmoes standing in lines all day long;) "Used to Comic Con" isn't a good thing...

They're still selling product they don't have so there's a risk, especially if something has a lot of demand-

I'll see how many I can get and post how bad it is on preview night.
Their feedback speaks for itself.

Being on Ebay for 15 years now, I've never been scammed.

Now the price is set between $350 and $399.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 am

random wrote:Anybody who previously ignored my trade inquiries will be ignored by me. I'll try and hook up anyone else on here.
I'd never have the guts to post that here, thanks for doing it first. I'll use it in the future. :wink:

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:05 am

mystical_tutor wrote:I don't really think things have changed much.

I think some use WotC as a punching bag to redirect their frustration with their own desires.

What I see mentioned above has nothing to do with pieces of cardboard and everything to do with the one variable that creates the situation--people WE people.

A company does all it can to improve a bottom line so the investors will keep it alive. Should they be blamed for milking the cow that gives the most milk?

Collectors don't give the company milk--only sour cream. They give their milk to the secondary market (online and offline).

Players also give milk to the secondary market. I buy two boxes to make a set (with trading). Players buy a case to make complete play sets. Both of us pay through the nose for the those special cards we didn't get. That milk goes to the secondary market.

The company wants/needs to keep the secondary market happy. How best to do this? Make special things that sell well in the secondary world.

Our desires (player/collector/speculator) then drive all the rest.

They pay us back by helping us fill our "needs" such as giving us a location and opportunity to socially enjoy ourselves (if this wasn't important we would all be playing MOL) and strut our stuff (pimp decks or super cool cards).

We collectors are only a very small blip on that bottom line.

The situation random was in sucks. The shop would have seen me often after that. First for a very carefully worded "I" message delivered in person to the shop owner, then when each new product came out as I would drop by and pointedly announce that I would not buy any of it from them. Whatever they gained in selling those lands would have been lost many times over. There are jerks out there and they deserve to have everyone know it.

Gary
You are right. The thing is, WotC does not know how to make good precon decks, because all they care about is the secondary market, except for Commander they released 2 years ago.

Modern Masters was a real chaos because of that also.
From the Vault is going down,
Premium Series were abandoned (how can that be when people are killing their mothers to pimp their decks).
Event Decks went up to 5 languages and 2 decks , now it's one and 2 languages.
Duel Decks went up to 5 languages, and now only 2.
Battle Packs were stopped.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:09 am

mystical_tutor wrote:

Gary
Yes, there is one for M2014. But, yes, if the product is no longer sold, they will stop it.

So far, they've cut the costs dramatically. Event Decks are made for the newbies. But in European countries, young guys don't speak English much anymore... And Event Decks are only released in English now.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 am

Found more info on what seems to be the boxed set of these:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... rcana/1270

So $65 for the complete set seems like a deal. I am willing to pay for the cost plus shipping plus whatever will compensate your time and effort.

PM me with your thoughts.
Thanks!