What do people think about hand-cut miscuts?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

ouallada
Librarities Legend
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 am

What do people think about hand-cut miscuts?

Post by ouallada » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:38 pm

For instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321200460287?ss ... 1555.l2649

Does Wizards have a policy against these?

User avatar
l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:56 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Post by l0qii » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:01 pm

I don't see how WOTC could have a policy against it, but I don't think hand cut cards should have any value at all. It's worthless. If you disagree, I have some extremely rare shredded cards I can sell you.

ouallada
Librarities Legend
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 am

Post by ouallada » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:08 pm

That isn't the point. The point is the possibility of future representation, with a dash of the "Lemons" problem that we read so much about. As for value, they obviously do have value. A look at the completed auctions and on the facebook rarity page shows plenty of value attached here to be honest.

Three sellers down the road, these become actual miscuts, and before anyone says they are easy to differentiate, so are bleached cards. How many threads have we seen here on whether a card is bleached?

User avatar
l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:56 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Post by l0qii » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:15 pm

So I haven't been paying much attention lately, but where are these being cut from? Were uncut sheets given out at some point?

ouallada
Librarities Legend
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 am

Post by ouallada » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Yup some uncut sheets were given out as prizes at some events. Not many.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5632
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi

I do consider those as Hand Made Cards even if they belong from an Official uncut sheet. I have a huge collection of hand made cards, I love them. But, I will never spend 100$ or more for any of those. What's next Step, you grab a Beta or valuable uncut sheet, and you cut them, to satisfy some customers willing to spend huge money on a hand Mmde Beta Miscut or else. Well, I don't judge anyone, but if some people are happy to spend $$$ on a False Miscut card, that's their business. Those are not Rarities, or Real Miscut, just simple hand made cards that anyone can do by cutting an uncut sheet.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 am

Post by ouallada » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:35 pm

dragsamou wrote:Hi

I do consider those as Hand Made Cards even if they belong from an Official uncut sheet. I have a huge collection of hand made cards, I love them. But, I will never spend 100$ or more for any of those. What's next Step, you grab a Beta or valuable uncut sheet, and you cut them, to satisfy some customers willing to spend huge money on a hand Mmde Beta Miscut or else. Well, I don't judge anyone, but if some people are happy to spend $$$ on a False Miscut card, that's their business. Those are not Rarities, or Real Miscut, just simple hand made cards that anyone can do by cutting an uncut sheet.
I agree with this, but what if, somewhere down the road, these get advertised as actual miscuts and people are spending $$$ with that assumption in mind?

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5632
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:35 pm

ouallada wrote:Yup some uncut sheets were given out as prizes at some events. Not many.
While doing some research, I have found at least over 50 Uncut sheets, some given as prizes, probably some stolen, etc...
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5632
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:40 pm

ouallada wrote:
dragsamou wrote:Hi

I do consider those as Hand Made Cards even if they belong from an Official uncut sheet. I have a huge collection of hand made cards, I love them. But, I will never spend 100$ or more for any of those. What's next Step, you grab a Beta or valuable uncut sheet, and you cut them, to satisfy some customers willing to spend huge money on a hand Mmde Beta Miscut or else. Well, I don't judge anyone, but if some people are happy to spend $$$ on a False Miscut card, that's their business. Those are not Rarities, or Real Miscut, just simple hand made cards that anyone can do by cutting an uncut sheet.
I agree with this, but what if, somewhere down the road, these get advertised as actual miscuts and people are spending $$$ with that assumption in mind?
Well, a crook is a crook, it's like selling a Bleach card and advertising it as an albino. If, the seller stipulates clearly that they are hand cut, and people buy the card with that knowledge, fine, well, personally, I only buy the Real Thing.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:56 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Post by l0qii » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Once a sheet is given out it is totally up to the owner of that sheet what they want to do with it. WOTC no longer has any control over that, and I imagine eBay would ignore any take down requests.

The responsibility would fall on groups like ours to make sure future collectors/players are aware of hand cut cards and where they come from.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5632
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:51 pm

l0qii wrote:Once a sheet is given out it is totally up to the owner of that sheet what they want to do with it. WOTC no longer has any control over that, and I imagine eBay would ignore any take down requests.

The responsibility would fall on groups like ours to make sure future collectors/players are aware of hand cut cards and where they come from.
Hi Tim

Correct. I was amazed at the number of sheets available or that was available on the market from so many Editions or Extensions. If you type MTG uncut sheet on Google images, it's a blast.
PS: I hope, it's our Member Wizard1 who bought the Uncut Legends and The Dark Commons and Uncommons sheets that was sold beginning of September on Ebay, as he's an Uncut Sheet Collector.

And the Prizes of some recent Uncut Sheets :-O

Return to Ravnica: Uncut Full Foil Sheet - Uncommons
Yes. An entire, uncut sheet of Magic: The Gathering cards from Return to Ravnica. Literally one of a kind. A supreme collectible. This sheet contains all uncommons and includes a large blank portion. Totally unique.
Auction Type: Live
Winning Bid: Omega Lairon for $4050.00
https://www.desertbus.org/live-auction/250

Return to Ravnica: Uncut Full Foil Sheet - Rares
Likely one of the spiciest live auction lots in the entire history of Desert Bus for Hope. A full, uncut, foil sheet of Return to Ravnica. Rares and Mythics. Simply stunning.

Auction Type: Live
Winning Bid: PeskyEye for $6750.00
https://www.desertbus.org/live-auction/251
Last edited by dragsamou on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 am

Post by ouallada » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

WOTC has no control over whether a sheet is kept intact, but surely there is the possibility of recourse once they are sold over public domain such as ebay and facebook? These are cards which aren't even supposed to exist, much less as miscuts.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5632
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:16 pm

ouallada wrote:WOTC has no control over whether a sheet is kept intact, but surely there is the possibility of recourse once they are sold over public domain such as ebay and facebook? These are cards which aren't even supposed to exist, much less as miscuts.
I think the difference is that on Ebay, you can eventually get back your money...On Facebook, it's the job of Administrator and Moderators, to let know the Members, if they have some integrity...
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:56 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Post by l0qii » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:24 pm

dragsamou wrote: Winning Bid: Omega Lairon for $4050.00
https://www.desertbus.org/live-auction/250

Winning Bid: PeskyEye for $6750.00
https://www.desertbus.org/live-auction/251
To be fair, these were charity auctions. People regularly overbid on items when the money is going to a cause.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5632
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:28 pm

l0qii wrote:
dragsamou wrote: Winning Bid: Omega Lairon for $4050.00
https://www.desertbus.org/live-auction/250

Winning Bid: PeskyEye for $6750.00
https://www.desertbus.org/live-auction/251
To be fair, these were charity auctions. People regularly overbid on items when the money is going to a cause.
Yes Tim, it's for a good cause =D>

But as comparison:
Legends Uncommon Sheet: $768
Legends Common Sheet: $415
The Dark Uncommon Sheet: $587
The Dark Common Sheet: $335

:-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests