What do people think about hand-cut miscuts?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:54 pm

I only buy the Real Thing.
How do you know though? If the $$ on miscut/crimped cards gets to a certain point it's profitable to create miscut/crimps.
Sure you can spot a lot of BS but if the $$ is good it's worth making these. Manipulating cards is A LOT easier than counterfeiting them.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:59 pm

random wrote:
How do you know though? If the $$ on miscut/crimped cards gets to a certain point it's profitable to create miscut/crimps.
Sure you can spot a lot of BS but if the $$ is good it's worth making these. Manipulating cards is A LOT easier than counterfeiting them.
Well, for $$$ some will kill mother and father, others will manipulate, others will counterfeit, etc....I don't belong to any of these categories and $ is not My God :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:22 pm

random wrote:
This is why I don't collect these

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:00 pm

I think the people who make them should be shot.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:20 pm

I don't belong to any of these categories and $ is not My God

$ is my God. That's besides the point though...

How does anybody "know" the difference between an actual factory defect card versus a card manipulated to look that way?
I'm meaning an intelligent person doing this, not some shoddy BS. I don't think you can spot a well made "fake" defect. The printing/packaging equipment is too universal imo.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:
I think the people who make them should be shot.
Harsh, but fair.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:51 pm

random wrote:
I don't belong to any of these categories and $ is not My God

$ is my God. That's besides the point though...

How does anybody "know" the difference between an actual factory defect card versus a card manipulated to look that way?
I'm meaning an intelligent person doing this, not some shoddy BS. I don't think you can spot a well made "fake" defect. The printing/packaging equipment is too universal imo.
You pull it yourself, or witness it being pulled. That's the only way.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Which actually devalues miscuts across the board, a little like how square-bordered cards are devalued by potentially being cut from a sheet, or how blank foil fillers are devalued because it is possible to acetone foils.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 pm

random wrote:I don't think you can spot a well made "fake" defect. The printing/packaging equipment is too universal imo.
As much as real famous paintings are in Museum, while the Original one is at a Private Collector place, this can apply also for MTG Original Art. There are a few new technologies gaining acceptance now or currently in development that can help avoid fakes.
ouallada wrote: or how blank foil fillers are devalued because it is possible to acetone foils.
Those are quite easy to spot, a study was made on this forum, of how to make a difference between a Fake and Real one. It should be in the
Card Structure and Integrity subsection on this forum.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:28 pm

dragsamou wrote:
l0qii wrote:Once a sheet is given out it is totally up to the owner of that sheet what they want to do with it. WOTC no longer has any control over that, and I imagine eBay would ignore any take down requests.

The responsibility would fall on groups like ours to make sure future collectors/players are aware of hand cut cards and where they come from.
Hi Tim

Correct. I was amazed at the number of sheets available or that was available on the market from so many Editions or Extensions. If you type MTG uncut sheet on Google images, it's a blast.
PS: I hope, it's our Member Wizard1 who bought the Uncut Legends and The Dark Commons and Uncommons sheets that was sold beginning of September on Ebay, as he's an Uncut Sheet Collector.

And the Prizes of some recent Uncut Sheets :-O

Return to Ravnica: Uncut Full Foil Sheet - Uncommons
Yes. An entire, uncut sheet of Magic: The Gathering cards from Return to Ravnica. Literally one of a kind. A supreme collectible. This sheet contains all uncommons and includes a large blank portion. Totally unique.
Auction Type: Live
Winning Bid: Omega Lairon for $4050.00
https://www.desertbus.org/live-auction/250

Return to Ravnica: Uncut Full Foil Sheet - Rares
Likely one of the spiciest live auction lots in the entire history of Desert Bus for Hope. A full, uncut, foil sheet of Return to Ravnica. Rares and Mythics. Simply stunning.

Auction Type: Live
Winning Bid: PeskyEye for $6750.00
https://www.desertbus.org/live-auction/251
with prices like that, I'll start thinking about selling my Magic 2010 common foil uncut sheet in russian...
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:27 pm

dragsamou wrote:
ouallada wrote: or how blank foil fillers are devalued because it is possible to acetone foils.
Those are quite easy to spot, a study was made on this forum, of how to make a difference between a Fake and Real one. It should be in the
Card Structure and Integrity subsection on this forum.
Exactly, they ARE easy to spot, and YET the prices have been affected drastically. If handcuts become rampant, is anyone denying that the same will happen to legit miscuts?

vegas10
Librarities Hero

Post by vegas10 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:57 am

pretty much stay away from miscuts now because too many fakes out there (I consider handcuts a fake misprint myself).

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:00 am

Yeah, it seems as though the miscut market has been flooded with fake, hand-cut "miscuts" in recent years (last ~3 years or so). I've found it rather sad and annoying.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:47 pm

I have always been a big collector of Crazy Clown tokens. Look at what happened when the market was flooded by reprints of dubious origin. $100 tokens were suddenly worth $10 or less, and prices for these tokens have never recovered.

I have always considered miscuts and most misprints to be inferior, simply because they weren't as perfect as they were supposed to be. Maybe it was the result of working in the print industry, where my company's reputation would be damaged if we allowed such product out the door.

For whatever reason, MTG collector's have turned miscuts into something special. But as noted baove, there are enough uncut sheets to make a lot of miscuts.

I'm all in favor of cutting sheets to make real, whole, cards. If you can't do this, then the value of uncut sheets becomes meaningless (it might as well be a poster instead of an uncut sheet). But the monetary goal of cutting a sheet should be the value of the regular cards if they are cut correctly.

paris

Post by paris » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:58 am

vegas10 wrote:pretty much stay away from miscuts now because too many fakes out there (I consider handcuts a fake misprint myself).
Same here. The presence of all these hand-cut miscuts has made me lose all interest in miscuts. Whenever I see a badly miscut card now, I automatically assume that it was hand cut.