Vesuvan Doppelganger framed art & card

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Vesuvan Doppelganger framed art & card

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:24 pm

So I saw this in my alerts today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Vesuvan-Dop ... SS:US:3160

It is not for the original art, so the starting price seems awfully high, but I am not familiar with framed art. Is framing like it is described in the picture/description actually worth $200ish?

Clay

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Vesuvan Doppelganger framed art & card

Post by dragsamou » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:22 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:So I saw this in my alerts today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Vesuvan-Dop ... SS:US:3160

It is not for the original art, so the starting price seems awfully high, but I am not familiar with framed art. Is framing like it is described in the picture/description actually worth $200ish?

Clay
Hi Clay

This auction as well as the others from that same seller, are no more no less counterfeiting of Original Art >:-(
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:47 pm

I really had no intention of winning the auction from the seller, I was more interested in finding out if framing such as the way the seller has was worth $200.

I won a sketch of a Nightmare from Melissa Benson a few years ago, so I was thinking that framing it in a similar manner would be a pretty cool way to display it. As I have really no experience in getting anything framed, I am inquiring into how much framing such as the one shown should actually cost.

Clay

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:I really had no intention of winning the auction from the seller, I was more interested in finding out if framing such as the way the seller has was worth $200.

I won a sketch of a Nightmare from Melissa Benson a few years ago, so I was thinking that framing it in a similar manner would be a pretty cool way to display it. As I have really no experience in getting anything framed, I am inquiring into how much framing such as the one shown should actually cost.

Clay
Hi Clay

Just contact Melissa, she's a very cool Artist, she will advise you on the best way to Frame that Nightmare sketch and even let you know where to get the Frame :wink:
http://www.melissabenson.com/originals_ ... tches.html
Last edited by dragsamou on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:01 pm

dragsamou wrote:Hi Clay

Just contact Melissa, she's a very cool Artist, she will advise you on the best way to Frame that Nightmare sketch and even let you know where to get the Frame :wink:
I have had a few nice conversations via email with her, and I do agree. I'd have to send her a photo of it to remind her of what it was.

Still, wonder how she'll know who to recommend in Korea....

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:
Still, wonder how she'll know who to recommend in Korea....
Ooops, forgot the Korea part, but I believe you can receive mail in Korea héhé And Gary might know a place for Great Frames there....
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:37 pm

OK Gary, your turn to chime in...

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Your barracks Ajima will tell you where to go.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:21 am

Framing is horribly expensive!

I had some nice aboriginal art by a well known artist, not a large piece but decent sized, 40cm x70 cm (16" x 28"). Cost me $190 because it was on eBay and not one of her best quality offerings.

Anyway, by the time I had added a decent matte board, had the frame made up, put in some non-reflective glass and had it all put together it cost an additional $250, and that was 'mates rates'.

Cigarette Cards are also done in a similar manner and I am looking at doing something similar for some coins but it will add a couple of hundred dollars to the value of your artwork, but a bit more to the cost of it and people don't seem to want to pay for decent framing.

The other alternative is to spend weeks going around homeware stores looking for something that is 'close enough' for about $20.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:20 pm

Framing can easily cost more than the art it protects, unless the art is a known (and well valued) original.

Many antique collectors will buy old pictures based upon the framing value alone. They usually don't have any idea of a picture's value (or whether it is even real or just a copy), but they quickly gain skill at valuing the frames.

Framing can be done by anyone with some reasonable skills. But if you have a shop do it, complete with professional matting and a nice wood frame, it can become steep in a hurry. I just had a 30 cm x 45 cm professional framing done that cost nearly $300.