Magic: The Gathering movie!

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Magic: The Gathering movie!

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:15 am

I was wondering when this was going to happen. I had an idea for one 10 years ago, I'm surprised it took this long.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=113469

Hopefully the script is better than this quote from the link:

"20th Century Fox has today tapped an undisclosed number of lands to gather the collective Mana necessary to summon a Magic: The Gathering feature film."

Source article here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... big-670529

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:34 am

I do like the comments section.

Cue lots of people putting forward actors to play each part, personally I think Justin Bieber would make a great stuffy doll.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:39 am

"...with Josh Feldman and Aditya Sood serving as executive producers."

Josh Feldman = CEO of Tori Richard, a well regarded Hawaiian shirt/apparel company
Aditya Sood = a Bollywood director

Always interesting to see who offers their money to see a film made :)

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:41 am

Serious question, if anyone knows what location(s) this will be shooting, or who is in charge of casting extras, please post.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:21 pm

I can see it now:

Opening Night Promos. Available only at the Hollywood theater. Actors present to sign cards for one hour prior to the movie, 100 of each card available.....

Or some variation of this.....

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:07 am

mystical_tutor wrote:I can see it now:

Opening Night Promos. Available only at the Hollywood theater. Actors present to sign cards for one hour prior to the movie, 100 of each card available.....

Or some variation of this.....

Gary
You are not trying to say that Hasbro would try and milk the MTG collectors are you?

If anyone is going to the opening can you pick me up one of each :)

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:03 pm

The irony of it, Mark, is that Hasbro may or may not "cash in" on such things. I really don't know how much they make when they sell "promos" like the SDCC. Because it was the Hasbro booth we can be sure they made the cost of the product as it was sold. The big jump in price, though, was sucked up by the individuals that were able to snag them.

I'm being facetious about the above, of course, but must mention that the big money made on promos is not made by Hasbro.

I have oft mused about just what the "demand" part of promos is. Dedicated collectors are few enough that such prices as the Helvault foils/SDCC/etc. prices would not be generated by us. Dedicated players, for the most part, are only interested in 'pimp' material that supports their favorate format. Casual players are not a driving force in raising prices.
That leaves, the speculators/secondary market. Now for whom are they gathering this stuff to sell to? My guess it is to other speculators/secondary market buyers-- all banking on it being worth more later to "someone".

Does this hit of a hollow price speculation? One in which even a small shift away from interest in Magic The gathering could cause a complete collapse?

One day we will know....

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:15 am

Well Hasbro may not make the money directly from the secondary market, and I am pretty sure that there are laws to prevent them setting the secondary prices.

But... they can make items, promos etc. far below the number required by collectors in the sure and certain knowledge that they can sell them all. They get all the hype and guarantee that their next promo event will be well attended by people wanting to make money on the secondary market.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Some more pertinent articles, although no new information added:

http://company.wizards.com/content/twen ... -franchise

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... rcana/1410

wonder who will get cast as Chandra :-O

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:33 am

I'd be optimistic if the WoW movie is any good. I'm not a fan of that game but the director of the movie is good. If that movie does well it will encourage the studio/producers to put more $$ into this project. That being said, look what a POS Battleship was and that had a great budget...

The D&D movies (primarily the 1st one) are a worst case scenario and I think a legitimate worry.

My friend worked on Tron/Fringe and has been updating me on this and hopefully he can work on it. Once a Director is confirmed and if he's established he usually has his own people he will hire. If it's an up-and-comming guy then the studio fills those slots.

If they make it out here will post any news regards extras. I assume it will be made here or East Europe. If it's all CGI will be made here. East Europe has the locations. I doubt it will be some labor of love like LOTR and exotic shooting locations and whatnot... would be nice but I highly doubt it.

After movies come out I have access to props unless they mothball them for sequels and whatnot.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:44 am

Note: Even if it doesn't get a huge budget could still be a good movie. 'Dawn of the Dead' remake was slated to have a huge budget but some other Zombie movie released right before it went into production failed and so they vastly reduced the budget... The movie wound up being greatly entertaining and that along with 28 Days Later spawned this huge resurgence in Zombie genre stuff. 28 Days Later cost less than an episode of some tv shows.

Hollywood is a copycat industry so if WoW fares well MTG should at least be OK.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:43 am

Ever since Arena (the first MTG novel) was published, I've always felt that would be a fantastic movie.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:Ever since Arena (the first MTG novel) was published, I've always felt that would be a fantastic movie.
Arena is one on my favorite books ever. Not favorite magic books, favorite books. I have gone back and re-read that many times. It is very very good. The Ice age books are also very good, and I think would also make a good movie trilogy.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:20 am

I kind of got burned on the Star Wars books and since then I haven't gone for any tie-ins like that.

Some of the Star Wars books were ok but the quality of writing was pretty poor in a lot of them.

The Dr Who books were OK but I was a lot younger and less critical in those days.