Alpha playtest uncut sheets

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Alpha playtest uncut sheets

Post by fvzappa » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 pm

I thought it would be cool to share what an uncut sheet of Alpha playtest cards look like, so here you go. This is the third & final version (AKA Gamma printing). Most cards exist, it's just that I have to be wary of fakes hitting the market, so this is the only one I'll show publicly. Track me down and I'll show you the others in person :-)

The concept of rarity was already introduced, there is usually 3 sheets per color, and depending on the sheet it is much harder to find certain single cards. I shared many of the cards in a different posts a while back. Enjoy.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:44 am

Hi Keith

Plains and Island are my favourite.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 am

Where do you place these date wise? These are so much more complex than the ones I got from Peter I'm wondering how much farther down the line they are.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:55 pm

I'm not sure I follow your question. Want to elaborate? My first thought is that you are talking about earlier versions (they have circles up top, and crude or no art). Please explain, I'd be glad to help.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu May 01, 2014 11:30 pm

I asked Peter the about the same question. The cards I have seen were very crude--many with no pictures at all.

I thought maybe there was a time progression in which the cards got better as development progresses. The first cards I saw, handled were actually pasteboard (looked like from cereal boxes) with stick men/no pictures.

I understand much better now and will share Peter's response in case it is of interest:

They certainly look “right”. I remember him using UK islands, that swamp with the pottery-like mushrooms, and those mountains look familiar too. I don’t remember planes for plains, but that’s certainly Richard’s sense of humor. I think I remember the mosquitos.

Part of the problem was that most of the playtesting happened around Richard and he was at Penn or Whitman during that era. Sometimes he would send us playtest cards, but I know his group had way more than we did. I don’t recall ever seeing a pre-cut “sheet” of them, but obviously they must’ve existed.
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Fri May 02, 2014 8:10 am

Yes, you're correct. There are much more crude versions, and those have a circle instead of a letter. A marker fills in these circles with the appropriate color.

Sadly, every single card WOTC has shown off on their website is only this final version. I really wish they would share more of the cards you've mentioned. I know in the past I've shared plenty myself.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat May 03, 2014 1:26 am

fvzappa wrote:Yes, you're correct. There are much more crude versions, and those have a circle instead of a letter. A marker fills in these circles with the appropriate color.

Sadly, every single card WOTC has shown off on their website is only this final version. I really wish they would share more of the cards you've mentioned. I know in the past I've shared plenty myself.
I think all of mine have letters, need to look when I get home.
Gary Adkison

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Sat May 03, 2014 9:01 am

you can always send me some pics if you want.