Need help with fillers #55/#56

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Need help with fillers #55/#56

Post by Knutsen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi guys,

I would be happy to get some help with a Filler card I just got. It is a "White-Black Foil Filler" (#49), but I would like check how others are looking.

At the first sight I thought it would be (other than declared) the not-foil (#55) version. But when taking it out the sleeve and after checking it in the light I noticed the/a foil finish - but more like a discreet 'mother of pearls' effect (very similar to a all black #21 version I've got).

After checking for some web pictures I found one from the SCG homepage which shows a different high-glossy/shiny foil version. :-k

So my question is - maybe anyone could post a picture of his foil #56 filler ... maybe sight by sight to the non-foil #48 version?

Thank in advance! :wink:

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:56 pm

You are talking about the left half of this filler?

I have two #56's at home, and both look pretty much the same in that the left side is obviously foiled, but I have a barcode filler that at first glance appears nonfoil, but when tilting in the light, you can clearly see there is a foil effect. It's possible you have a variation on this half white, half black filler, where the left half is foiled similar to this barcode filler i have.

Not sure I can be of much more help unless I saw it in person.

Knutsen

Post by Knutsen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Hard to describe it - so I made some (more!) tries to take photo of them, where it is able to see the effect.

No.1

No.2

Thats the best I could do. The effect you describe sound like the one I have here (applying to both sides) ... and it totally looks different from the normal fillers with a obvious foil finish.

No. 3

By the way - I would be interested in your "obvious" foil #49 version! :wink:

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Need help with fillers #55/#56

Post by dragsamou » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Knutsen wrote: So my question is - maybe anyone could post a picture of his foil #49 filler ... maybe sight by sight to the non-foil #48 version?

Thank in advance! :wink:
Hi Kurt

Let me help. Enjoy the "Purple Rain Effect" of my Piece of S.... scanner ](*,)

Filler #55 and Filler #56

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:35 pm

I'll try to take some pics of mine and see if i can replicate what you posted above. If not, you probably have a variation ! Yippee!

Knutsen

Post by Knutsen » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Hey Alex,

thanks for the 'purple rain impressions'. :) I'm quite sure your foil one has to be a much more shiny one. Strange ... :-k

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Knutsen wrote:Hey Alex,

thanks for the 'purple rain impressions'. :) I'm quite sure your foil one has to be a much more shiny one. Strange ... :-k
You're welcome Knut, point is that with a special orientation and with the flashlight from the phone or camera, you can get kind of a foily effect on the filler #55, I have look at mine and it looks kind like yours, the best way will be for you to get another #48, also try to scan it instead od taking a pic, maybe we will get a better idea.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Re: Need help with fillers #48/#49

Post by Neuron » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Knutsen wrote:more like a discreet 'mother of pearls' effect (very similar to a all black #21 version I've got).

After checking for some web pictures I found one from the SCG homepage which shows a different high-glossy/shiny foil version. :-k
Foils were printed in many different ways over the years (I know about ten). Even within some sets the technique and/or material varies by language. Everything looks a bit else.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:52 pm

I recently purchased what I thought was another filler #48 (half white, half black), and it turned out be just like the filler Knutsen is inquiring about. There's a "mother of pearls' effect when tilted in the light, which I do not see in my original nonfoil half white half black fillers.

The most noticeable different between the middle and right one, is the contrast difference between the black border and black strip. On the middle one (which I am calling the nonfoil half-half filler) the black strip and black border are indistinguishable from each other, however on the filler on the right, you can clearly see the border and black strip are different shading. Moreover, I can tilt the middle one all I want and I cannot see any sort of "mother of pearls" effect in the white strip, whereas the right filler shows this effect when tilting.

The right filler even has a scratch (unfortunately) on the black strip, revealing the foil underlayment.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:50 pm

After examining the "mother of pearls" version in person, it looks like there is really white ink printed on the white half, making it less shimmering.