Summer Magic complete price list

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

tromagic
Librarities Member

Post by tromagic » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:16 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Is this the start of a bubble in Summer magic cards?
Since 1993, MTG is a jacuzzi :-D
I collect old MTG cards.

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:46 pm

All those cards sold extremely fast, which means the prices were really fair, or in some cases even a tad low. The seller could probably have gotten more on some of them, and I personally don't think we're gonna see other examples of those cards, expecially the rare ones, anytime soon.

Matt
Unlimited collector! Please pm me if you have any BGS 9.5 or very good-looking ungraded cards to trade or sell!

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:38 am

I suppose it all depends on whether someone is buying the last few rare cards to complete their collection or whether someone is speculating on the price rising higher in the future.

If someone is adding them to a collection then they will pretty much be taken off the market.

For most collections you seem to buy 99% of them really cheaply and then the price of the set doubles as you try to find the remaining 1%. They will buy the card for the price they think is fair, or they will probably overpay if they think they won't have another chance to buy something similar.

This is particularly true for things like collectible cards, coins etc. You can justify paying a high price for something because you figure you will get the money back when you go to sell.

If on the other hand it was sold to a speculator, then you can expect it to come back on the market in the near future with an even higher price tag. If it wasn't needed for a collection the first time around then it probably isn't needed this time around but anyone who has been watching the price of Summer cards will see it, see how much it 'has gone up in value' since it was last sold and would buy it expecting similar 'price gains' in the same time frame.

You end up with what we have over in Australia in the housing market, rising house prices, speculators buying and selling to each other in the hopes of making ever more money, people who actually want to buy a home are then priced out of the market. In one year my house made more money than I did.

Not that I mind rising card values for Summer cards, hopefully that means there will be rising prices for Sealed Summer Boosters as well.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:15 am

Every few years Kidicarus sells off a whack of Summer. Sometimes via auctions and sometimes via BIN/OBO like now. Either way his sales are the best guide I have found to help chart Summer price increases.

He typically helps set new benchmarks throughout all the levels from Rares to Commons.

Consider the following:
1st BGS 9.5 US sold at start of 2012 for ~$17k
2nd BGS 0.5 US sold Nov 2013 for ~$18.5k
3rd BGS 9.5 US sold Nov 2014 for ~$23k (assuming this was the priv deal sale value)

... I would not say Summer is entering a bubble phase as these displays of big summer numbers show up every now and then. I see it as Summer is still climbing by 10-20% annually (some cards more, some less) and this rate of increase in value has been going back to the mid 2000s. Kidicarus's latest batch of summer sales will most likely support this as well.

Daniel's private FB summer sales figures do not represent the proper global summer market for reasons already mentioned. I would advise anyone still working on their summer sets to grab what they can from those FB auctions as they will probably get good deals due to sub-par bidding activity.

And yes Mark I can relate to your housing analogy as rising summer prices forced me to step out of the set collecting competition. So I can see Summer as comparable to a rising housing market... One that just keeps rising. People have been taking about the housing market "bubble" over here in Toronto for over 10 years now. I have many friends that kept waiting for the bubble to burst and prices to come back down. But they never did (at least not for desirable areas - much like desirable collectibles). All that happened was they eventually realized the market was continuing upward and they at some point had to jump in. Paying a lot more than they would have if they took the leap sooner and not counted on that bubble to burst.

PS: I would bank (quite literally) on the fact that you Summer booster has increased significantly in value already. :wink:

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:49 pm

I have no knowledge about Summer (maybe I should have actively sought some cards when I got the chance in the past :-\ ) but I can see an interesting debate about financial and real asset bubbles here.

As an operator in the financial sector, I'd like to remind people that bubbles do burst, sometimes in a pretty spectacular fashion, and that includes the housing market.

Here in Europe, we had skyrocketing housing prices in Spain and Ireland in the early 2000s, but they later pulled back by as much as 50% in the following years.

In Rome where I live, prices have overall kept slightly more stable, but rents are down at least 20% from their 2008 peak and the amount of unsold property is soaring... not very encouraging for future prices especially in one of the few countries in the world with an ageing and shrinking population.

And don't forget that the great financial crisis and recession in 2008-2009 stemmed from the bursting US housing bubble itself.

In MTG, I'd really feel uneasy in "investing" in graded Alpha/Beta cards and Summer at these prices, even though it is quite possible the upward trend might continue for a while (Internet stocks climbed crazily for most of 1999 and 2000 before finally falling off the cliff to a more realistic value).

tromagic
Librarities Member

Post by tromagic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:30 pm

ende73 wrote: In MTG, I'd really feel uneasy in "investing" in graded Alpha/Beta cards and Summer at these prices, even though it is quite possible the upward trend might continue for a while (Internet stocks climbed crazily for most of 1999 and 2000 before finally falling off the cliff to a more realistic value).
I must admit that the price look totaly insane, if i started play MTg a few years ago i think i would not pay more than 100 USD for a card.
But i started in 93. Since 93, i said at least 100 times : "This is a bubble for sure, how can can someone pay X for a card"
I used to compare it to something i like in every days life.
At begin, it was sandwich.
At Liberty game, in Toulouse, we used to play for hours and sometime we used to go out the place to buy some "American sandwich : 1 steak in bread with tomato, salade and french fries"
I used to try to trade cards to buy one "American sandwich". I had to make 4.1 francs (0.7 USD) to buy it.
The black lotus unlimited was arround 40 francs (7 USD).
I was trying to buy a second one.
One guy came with a realy nice one. At that time i sarted to look for the condition of the cards. He wanted 50 francs for it ... I wanted to pay 40 francs. He wanted also buy an "American sandwich" : i offered him 40 francs + half of my "American sandwich".
I graded this lotus recently and got a BGS 7.
I sold it 2500 Euros.
When i think of it, i should have bought all the black lotus at that time ...
How many times i though i paid too much and then one years later i though i robed the seller ...
Once you have lived this situation many many times, you anderstand why the price seems ridiculous now and good deal later :-D
But this have to happen to you a lot of time before you get no stress buying a card for :-O
I collect old MTG cards.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:44 pm

When I first started playing in 1994 I saw an advert for a Black Lotus in Scrye, they wanted $25 for it which I thought was way too high, I could get a handful of boosters for that price.

A couple of years later, I had a good job and was buying more MtG, I was making proxies in a local copy shop and the server came over and told me about a trophy he won, a black lotus sealed in a frame, he offered it to me for £150. But it was just out of reach, I could buy 2.5 boxes of Revised for that price and complete my set.

Fast forward a few years and I am still heavily into the game and now with eBay I can get more cards from abroad but now a black lotus is $1000 and I can use that to pay off my credit cards and car loans etc.

Fast forward to recent years and I figure it is time I owned some power nine, I have a check for current prices and what do you know? They are going for $8,000.

Always just a bit out of reach :)

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:41 am

I bought my first black lotus for $98 back in 93', my first beta lotus for $150 in 93'... Still have them, and five others.
I think total investment was around $500 for all seven.
Who said hoarding is bad. :-P
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:07 am

Giediprime41 wrote:...
Well, my wife for one...

My Mum as well.

Dad isn't too keen on the number of Boosters turning up to his address in the UK either.

None of them understand.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:51 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:
Giediprime41 wrote:...
Well, my wife for one...

My Mum as well.

Dad isn't too keen on the number of Boosters turning up to his address in the UK either.

None of them understand.
LOL... I know, parents, right?

Speaking of which, I need to find my kids and yell at them for something... :-P

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:11 am

The year was 1994 and I had just gotten into Magic at the time of Revised. Would play at a nearby pub on Sunday nights and there would always be My Suitcase who would cream you with all his power 9 and other super elite cards. I always cursed him for being able to win after only a few turns.

Anyway I would head to the US on business trips and when I could I would check out the local card shops to see what I could add to my collection. I remember looking int he glass case of one such store in a small town outside of nowheresville USA and I saw Black Lotus cards for sale for $40 each and Moxes for a bit less. And I thought to myself, who in their right mind would pay that much money for a card for a game...

:-k

Where did I leave my frickin keys to that Delorean!!!

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:36 am

Hayden wrote:...and I saw Black Lotus cards for sale for $40 each and Moxes for a bit less. And I thought to myself, who in their right mind would pay that much money for a card for a game...
We had a small group and not much access to the internet or other players. No one in our group started before Revised so we had heard about the other cards but no one had any. Any we didn't call them the Power 9, they were just rares from an earlier set, much the same as rares from Antiquities or Arabian Nights.

So we looked at the cards and thought "A Mox, zero cast and gives you a Mana, hello, isn't that what lands are for?" And Duel lands went along the lines of "I can get swamp and an Island by opening a booster, why would I pay £4 for a card that is just a swamp and an Island together?"

As to the black lotus, "I play a blue deck, why would I want mana of another colour, if I want more I will play black or green, and a Dark Ritual only costs 1 extra and I have loads of Sol Rings (We didn't know about banned or restricted lists) "

Just didn't see the need as we only ever played in groups of 3-5 so our multiplayer decks were all slow and had 100+ cards in them. We never played duels so the need for speed or small decks never really occurred to us. Of course my 'control' and 'land destruction' decks never actually worked...

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:40 am

I think my greatest trade back in the day was a unl. ancestral recall and a tabernacle at pendrell vale for a handful of my brothers pogs that he left at my house :-P :-O
Sorry for steering the thread off topic..I'll be quit now. :-\'
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:12 am

Giediprime41 wrote:I think my greatest trade back in the day was a unl. ancestral recall and a tabernacle at pendrell vale for a handful of my brothers pogs that he left at my house :-P :-O
Sorry for steering the thread off topic..I'll be quit now. :-\'
For the non native english speakers: What is a pog ?

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:50 am

you didn't have pogs in germany ?

we had them in france in the early 90s : a pog is a circular piece of cardboard with printing on it (the star character was a sort of redhaired monster).

To play you make a pile with one of your pog and one of your opponent(s) (each player can put more than one too), and the aim is to flip them with throwing a circular plastic piece on the pile (we called it a kini here). You can keep the pogs you flipped this way :)

http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http ... CDIQrQMwAw
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467