What were the Ice Age, Chronicles, Homelands Promo Cards?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:25 pm

berkumps wrote:
Also, old topic:

http://magiclibrarities.net/forum/viewt ... ght=shadis

I discuss that Shadis #16 has a sealed card from the Dark in silver foil. I am unsure as to which cards were possible in this "foil" 1-card pack, but I opened a Goblin Hero in one.

Additionally, there were random cards inserted in Shadis in late 1994 (not sure on issue #'s):

"In late 1994, the magazine received its biggest success by making available random Magic: The Gathering cards at a time in which booster packs of the card game were scarce, causing many players of the game to buy multiple issues of the magazine in hopes of getting a rare or out-of-print card."

I figured since you were concerned with magazine promos from older sets that these may also be of interest.
Thanks Berkumps, that is fascinating! Hopefully more people will come forward with what cards they received in Shadis.

Tav

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:12 pm

I just received sealed copies of both Shadis #18, and Shadis #18.5, and both magazines come with Essence Flare and Norritt, polybagged.

I also got some more of issue #16, undecided if I want to open them to check The Dark cards.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Also, some interesting threads from the web about Shadis magazine inserts. The first link seems to indicate that any card from the Dark is possible:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... gtrCcti1Ws

The second link talks about the insertion of a Legends card in issue #15:

http://www.blackgate.com/2013/08/24/vin ... shadis-15/

"Ultimately, Wizards was forced to modify the offer, changing it from unique cards to preview cards for upcoming expansion packs. To compensate subscribers for the change, Jolly purchased 15,000 Legends cards, breaking open over a thousand booster packs and inserting those cards randomly into the issues — even going through the trouble of getting a hundred cards autographed by the artists at GenCon before randomly inserting them."

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:47 am

berkumps wrote:Also, some interesting threads from the web about Shadis magazine inserts. The first link seems to indicate that any card from the Dark is possible:

"Ultimately, Wizards was forced to modify the offer, changing it from unique cards to preview cards for upcoming expansion packs. To compensate subscribers for the change, Jolly purchased 15,000 Legends cards, breaking open over a thousand booster packs and inserting those cards randomly into the issues — even going through the trouble of getting a hundred cards autographed by the artists at GenCon before randomly inserting them."
Hi Mark

Great find. Wonder what's the Poster in: SHADIS #17 THE INDEPENDENT GAMES MAGAZINE. Published by AEG - Alderac Entertainment Group. Featuring: INDIANA JONES, REAL SPIES, GM's Workshop. Also includes Multi Player Variant & Poster Game Board for use with Magic the Gathering. Circa 1994/1995.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:57 pm

berkumps wrote:Also, some interesting threads from the web about Shadis magazine inserts. The first link seems to indicate that any card from the Dark is possible:

Wow, great research!

So it looks like issue 15 had 15,000 Legends cards (could be any card) randomly inserted into 120,000 issues that had been ordered.

Issue 16 then had a card from The Dark (could be any card) wrapped in silver foil. It sounds like many of these were accidentaly crimped. Is the crimp pattern on the silver foil different from the crimp pattern on a pack of the Dark? Maybe some of the Shadis promo cards can still be identified today after having been opened and mixed with other cards.

Issue 17 had a poster

Issue 18 had two Ice Age cards, Norritt & Essence Flare.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Re:

Post by dragsamou » Tue May 03, 2016 9:06 am

cataclysm80 wrote:Thanks again Alexis, you're good at this!

Here is that list of where the Ice Age promos could be found. Each contained the listed card and a Norritt...

Pyramid #13 May Balduvian Barbarians

Non-Sport Update Vol.6 #2 March Gaze of Pain

Comic Buyer's Guide #1116 March Word of Undoing

Shadis #18 March Essence Flare

Cards Illustrated #18 April Fylgja

Scrye #7 March/April Dire Wolves

The Duelist #5 April/May Aurochs

Combo #4 April Scaled Wurm

Hero Illustrated #23 April Gorilla Pack

Wizard #45 April Prismatic Ward

It looks like the earliest Ice Age Promo was available in March. Since we know that the cards were sent to print at the end of January, that means there was about 1 month for the cards to be printed (in Belgium) and then sent to the various magazine printers for insertion. This is a relatively small print run, and I imagine it would take longer for an entire expansion set to be printed and sent to distributors.

Tav
Hi Tav

I'm digging that old topic with more info and pics as I'm working on a compilation that implies MTG Inserts:
cataclysm80 wrote:Pyramid #13 May Balduvian Barbarians
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Pyramid #13 Magazine from May June 1995:
Norritt and Balduvian Barbarians

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Magazine- ... B003SB5MZQ

cataclysm80 wrote:Non-Sport Update Vol.6 #2 March Gaze of Pain
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Non-Sport Update Volume 6, Number 2, Cover Date: April-May 1995. Originally Issued: 03/95:
Gaze of Pain and Norritt

http://www.nonsportupdate.com/backissues/vol6-2.htm

cataclysm80 wrote:Comic Buyer's Guide #1116 March Word of Undoing
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Comic Buyer's Guide #1116 from April 1995:
Word of Undoing and ?

cataclysm80 wrote:Shadis #18 March Essence Flare
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Shadis #18 from March 1995 and Shadis 18.5:
Essence Flare and Norritt

cataclysm80 wrote:Cards Illustrated #18 April Fylgja
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Cards Illustrated #18 from June 1995:
Fylgja and ?

cataclysm80 wrote:Scrye #7 March/April Dire Wolves
But on the cover of Scrye #7 from March/April 1995 and according to different sources and info, there was also a Norrit:
Dire Wolves and Norrit

cataclysm80 wrote:The Duelist #5 April/May Aurochs
Ice Age Preview card was inserted in the Duelist #5 from April/May 1995. I don't know if beside Aurochs another Ice Age card was inserted:
Aurochs

cataclysm80 wrote:Combo #4 April Scaled Wurm
Ice Age Preview card was inserted in the Combo #4 from May 1995. I don't know if beside Scaled Wurm another different Ice Age card was inserted:
Scaled Wurm

cataclysm80 wrote:Hero Illustrated #23 April Gorilla Pack
Ice Age Preview card was inserted in the Hero Illustrated #23 from May 1995. I don't know if beside Gorilla Pack another different Ice Age card was inserted:
Gorilla Pack

cataclysm80 wrote:Wizard #45 April Prismatic Ward
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in Wizard Volume 1 #45 Magazine from May 1995. I don't know if beside Prismatic Ward and Norrit another different Ice Age cards were inserted:
Prismatic Ward and Norrit

POST TO BE UPDATED

And for those that was wondering what the Shadis 17 (1995): Multi Player Variant & Poster Game Board for use with Magic the Gathering looks like:

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Re:

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue May 03, 2016 1:16 pm

berkumps wrote:

Also, old topic:

http://magiclibrarities.net/forum/viewt ... ght=shadis

I discuss that Shadis #16 has a sealed card from the Dark in silver foil. I am unsure as to which cards were possible in this "foil" 1-card pack, but I opened a Goblin Hero in one.
I bought the magazine just to get the card as 'The Dark' was not available for sale in boosters, I just missed it!

I opened up a Goblin Wizard and if they had any more copies on the shelf I would have gone back for more.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Re: Re:

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 am

cataclysm80 wrote: Here is that list of where the Ice Age promos could be found. Each contained the listed card and a Norritt...
Pyramid #13 May Balduvian Barbarians
Non-Sport Update Vol.6 #2 March Gaze of Pain
Comic Buyer's Guide #1116 March Word of Undoing
Shadis #18 March Essence Flare
Cards Illustrated #18 April Fylgja
Scrye #7 March/April Dire Wolves
The Duelist #5 April/May Aurochs
Combo #4 April Scaled Wurm
Hero Illustrated #23 April Gorilla Pack
Wizard #45 April Prismatic Ward
Tav
dragsamou wrote:
Tue May 03, 2016 9:06 am
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Pyramid #13 Magazine from May June 1995:
Norritt and Balduvian Barbarians
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Non-Sport Update Volume 6, Number 2, Cover Date: April-May 1995. Originally Issued: 03/95:
Gaze of Pain and Norritt
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Comic Buyer's Guide #1116 from April 1995:
Word of Undoing and ?
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Shadis #18 from March 1995 and Shadis 18.5:
Essence Flare and Norritt
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in the Cards Illustrated #18 from June 1995:
Fylgja and ?
But on the cover of Scrye #7 from March/April 1995 and according to different sources and info, there was also a Norrit:
Dire Wolves and Norrit
In fact 2 Ice Age Preview cards were inserted in Wizard Volume 1 #45 Magazine from May 1995. I don't know if beside Prismatic Ward and Norrit another different Ice Age cards were inserted:
Prismatic Ward and Norrit
Yes, that matches what I said. "Each contained the listed card and a Norritt."

dragsamou wrote:
Tue May 03, 2016 9:06 am
Ice Age Preview card was inserted in the Duelist #5 from April/May 1995. I don't know if beside Aurochs another Ice Age card was inserted:
Aurochs
Ice Age Preview card was inserted in the Combo #4 from May 1995. I don't know if beside Scaled Wurm another different Ice Age card was inserted:
Scaled Wurm
Ice Age Preview card was inserted in the Hero Illustrated #23 from May 1995. I don't know if beside Gorilla Pack another different Ice Age card was inserted:
Gorilla Pack
POST TO BE UPDATED
I think those also contained a Norritt.
The MTGArchive website that you linked to earlier in this thread had the info, but is no longer accessible.
Combo #4 does say on the plastic bag that two Ice Age cards are inside, with one of them (Scaled Wurm) not being inserted in any other magazine. It implies that the second Ice Age card included (Norritt) was also included in other magazines.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Re:

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:56 am

cataclysm80 wrote:The Chronicles cards were Johan in a March 1996 comic book, and Dakkon Blackblade in a June 1996 comic book. Again, this would be After the Chronicles set was released in July 1995.

The same article that says there are 3 Chronicles promo cards also says that all of them were released in Acclaim comic books.
Alexis has posted a pretty complete list of the comic books and their contents, so unless he is missing something, it looks like the 3rd Chronicles promo may not exist.
dragsamou wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:46 pm
There's not a third Chronicles Promo that I know of, except Sol’kanar the Swamp King and Fallen Angel in Oversized 6X9 (But they could be as much from Legends)

The 3rd Chronicles promo card is a regular sized Chronicles Fallen Angel, that was included in the Fallen Angel Armada comic book.

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Re:

Post by dragsamou » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:40 am

cataclysm80 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:56 am
cataclysm80 wrote:The Chronicles cards were Johan in a March 1996 comic book, and Dakkon Blackblade in a June 1996 comic book. Again, this would be After the Chronicles set was released in July 1995.

The same article that says there are 3 Chronicles promo cards also says that all of them were released in Acclaim comic books.
Alexis has posted a pretty complete list of the comic books and their contents, so unless he is missing something, it looks like the 3rd Chronicles promo may not exist.
dragsamou wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:46 pm
There's not a third Chronicles Promo that I know of, except Sol’kanar the Swamp King and Fallen Angel in Oversized 6X9 (But they could be as much from Legends)

The 3rd Chronicles promo card is a regular sized Chronicles Fallen Angel, that was included in the Fallen Angel Armada comic book.
Yes, the original post was from 2006, at that time I did only have the Fallen Angel comic unsealed, I find out about the Fallen Angel card included 7 years or so after that (and after your question). and it was updated in the index of the subsection. Same about the Alliances cards, extra info was only added in those last years. Interesting that in 2020, there's still mysteries about Armada comics that aren't solved or answered.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.