JingHe token question

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Nyarlathotep333

JingHe token question

Post by Nyarlathotep333 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:06 am

I posted this on a couple other forum boards and it was suggested that I post it here as well.

I've bought a JingHe Angel token for my angel collection. It arrived a little while back, but there are a few things about it that I am unsure about since I don't have any previous experiences with the JingHe tokens before this so I have nothing to compare this one with.

First off, the text doesn't look blurry to me, the printing pattern (rosette) is present, and the dots in the rosette pattern looks OK to me as well. I'm pretty sure that if it is a counterfeit, it was at least printed very professionally. The text and images on the back are just as crisp as the front and the rosette pattern is there as well. The characters that I compared with the images on this site's gallery all seemed the same too.

The issue I am having is about the bottom edge of the card which looks to me like the edge was slightly raised by the factory die stamp when it was cut. When I look at it in decent lighting at certain angles, the bottom edge has a discoloration which almost looks like it could be a sticker or film that is separating. Under close magnification though it doesn't actually appear to have any separation at all that I can tell though, and the discoloration isn't always apparent unless the light is hitting it just right. I know that description is a bit odd, but it is hard to explain what I am seeing. I took several photos - some under the magnifying glass t show the print pattern - and uploaded them to my Dropbox account here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lwldwhi38qhk ... K7NCa?dl=0

All of the edge photos are from the bottom edge where the issue is.

Does anyone here collect these who could give me some advice on what I'm seeing here? I did some searching on Google right after I received it, but I wasn't able to find any evidence of counterfeit JingHe tokens on the market. As far as I can tell, it seems like a real card.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: JingHe token question

Post by dragsamou » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:52 am

Nyarlathotep333 wrote:I posted this on a couple other forum boards and it was suggested that I post it here as well.

I've bought a JingHe Angel token for my angel collection. It arrived a little while back, but there are a few things about it that I am unsure about since I don't have any previous experiences with the JingHe tokens before this so I have nothing to compare this one with.

First off, the text doesn't look blurry to me, the printing pattern (rosette) is present, and the dots in the rosette pattern looks OK to me as well. I'm pretty sure that if it is a counterfeit, it was at least printed very professionally. The text and images on the back are just as crisp as the front and the rosette pattern is there as well. The characters that I compared with the images on this site's gallery all seemed the same too.

The issue I am having is about the bottom edge of the card which looks to me like the edge was slightly raised by the factory die stamp when it was cut. When I look at it in decent lighting at certain angles, the bottom edge has a discoloration which almost looks like it could be a sticker or film that is separating. Under close magnification though it doesn't actually appear to have any separation at all that I can tell though, and the discoloration isn't always apparent unless the light is hitting it just right. I know that description is a bit odd, but it is hard to explain what I am seeing. I took several photos - some under the magnifying glass t show the print pattern - and uploaded them to my Dropbox account here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lwldwhi38qhk ... K7NCa?dl=0

All of the edge photos are from the bottom edge where the issue is.

Does anyone here collect these who could give me some advice on what I'm seeing here? I did some searching on Google right after I received it, but I wasn't able to find any evidence of counterfeit JingHe tokens on the market. As far as I can tell, it seems like a real card.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Hi and welcome

I collect those and was among the very first ones to received them from China back in the years. There's different topics about them on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3927
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3962

Those tokens were printed in China, and the quality is not the best, they have a matte finishing. I did HQ scans for you so you can compare them to yours. Let me know if you need further info:

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Nyarlathotep333

Post by Nyarlathotep333 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:56 pm

Ahhh, thanks for the info. Judging by your description, the other threads, and your photos, it looks like what I have is legit. The surface is matte, and the print pattern looks like what you have.

Glad to know I have a real copy...chasing down third party angel tokens has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. I can mark this one off my wanted list now, though I will still keep my eyes open for a copy with a better bottom edge.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:06 am

Nyarlathotep333 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:56 pm
Ahhh, thanks for the info. Judging by your description, the other threads, and your photos, it looks like what I have is legit. The surface is matte, and the print pattern looks like what you have.

Glad to know I have a real copy...chasing down third party angel tokens has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. I can mark this one off my wanted list now, though I will still keep my eyes open for a copy with a better bottom edge.
Glad I could help. What's your collection about, Angel Tokens both Official and Unofficial ?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Nyarlathotep333

Post by Nyarlathotep333 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:19 am

Angels in general. I first got into Magic about a week before the Dark was released. Two of the first Revised cards I owned that I thought had super awesome art were Vesuvan Doppelganger (well, anything by Quinton Hoover really...) and Serra Angel. Once I realized that angels were going to be printed in other sets I started collecting them. I quit for a bit right around Urza's block and quit Magic altogether right just before Lorwyn. I got back into Magic about the time Scars of Mirrodin was out and renewed my interest in angel cards.

I am currently hunting down some of the harder to find cards (which is tricky because financially, some of them are pretty spendy!) and third party tokens. I am trying to collect one angel from each set (including reprints), and in foil whenever available. Newer sets I'm also trying to get the prerelease versions as well.

The biggest cards I'm still missing an Alpha Serra, an alternate 4th Serra, and a Summer Serra which I'm going to try for eventually, though the Summer one may be well out of my reach cost-wise. I'm missing a lot of the token cards listed in the rarities section of The Magic Libraries as well, but a lot of those are really hard to find...I pick up third party tokens and art proofs where I can find them though and occasionally find a hidden gem. Art proofs are generally whenever I can hunt them down online since I live in an area with no real access to conventions. In fact I just purchased an Angel of Invention proof from Volkan Baga with a sketch.

The only requirement I have for tokens is that they are printed professionally. I don't try for the altered tokens people print on clear adhesive and stick on cards, or anything along those lines. At some point in the near future I think I'm going to try listing my Angel collection in the forums here...I was looking at some of the other members collections, which is pretty inspiring.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:49 am

Nyarlathotep333 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:19 am
Angels in general. I first got into Magic about a week before the Dark was released. Two of the first Revised cards I owned that I thought had super awesome art were Vesuvan Doppelganger (well, anything by Quinton Hoover really...) and Serra Angel. Once I realized that angels were going to be printed in other sets I started collecting them. I quit for a bit right around Urza's block and quit Magic altogether right just before Lorwyn. I got back into Magic about the time Scars of Mirrodin was out and renewed my interest in angel cards.

I am currently hunting down some of the harder to find cards (which is tricky because financially, some of them are pretty spendy!) and third party tokens. I am trying to collect one angel from each set (including reprints), and in foil whenever available. Newer sets I'm also trying to get the prerelease versions as well.

The biggest cards I'm still missing an Alpha Serra, an alternate 4th Serra, and a Summer Serra which I'm going to try for eventually, though the Summer one may be well out of my reach cost-wise. I'm missing a lot of the token cards listed in the rarities section of The Magic Libraries as well, but a lot of those are really hard to find...I pick up third party tokens and art proofs where I can find them though and occasionally find a hidden gem. Art proofs are generally whenever I can hunt them down online since I live in an area with no real access to conventions. In fact I just purchased an Angel of Invention proof from Volkan Baga with a sketch.

The only requirement I have for tokens is that they are printed professionally. I don't try for the altered tokens people print on clear adhesive and stick on cards, or anything along those lines. At some point in the near future I think I'm going to try listing my Angel collection in the forums here...I was looking at some of the other members collections, which is pretty inspiring.
I was helping different Token Angel collectors back in the years with the Unofficial ones (you can see them in the different subsections), there was around 30 back then, probably much more by now. I might have few extras as singles, not sure.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Nyarlathotep333

Post by Nyarlathotep333 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:40 am

Well, if you have any extras that I need, I would certainly be interested in them. I am missing many of the tokens listed here.

Not sure what I might have for trade that could be of interest to you though. Most of my cards are tied up in my collection but I can always try and save some cash to buy, or try and trade for cards you might want locally. I have some stuff (mostly from more recent sets) that might be of interest though. Is there anything you might be looking for in particular?

...offhand, I do have extras of some third party tokens - nothing too high value I suspect - but some of the Star City series 1 as well as misc. other tokens from various places that I could trade as well.