Calculated print sheets based on pack openings

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

lethe

Calculated print sheets based on pack openings

Post by lethe » Mon May 07, 2018 9:22 am

Hi! I'm trying to learn the collation details for sealed Magic products (ie the order that cards appear in the pack). This is closely related to the way the print sheets are laid out, so I've had to reconstruct the layouts of some of the sheets. The data comes mostly from box and pack opening videos that other people have posted online. This project is very early and I'm still working on it, but I thought I'd share some of my results. I hope this is on topic and of interest.

cataclysm80 has written a detailed post describing the way that print sheets are collated for (certain printings of) older sets. This idea is the foundation for much of the information I present.

Limited Edition Alpha common print sheet:

I've seen people say that the Alpha common sheet is the same as the Beta sheet except for the Circle of Protection: Black and the new land art, but I have found that the land next to the COP: Black is also different in Alpha.

Fourth Edition common print sheets:

There are two distinct Fourth Edition print sheets. From full box openings I have seen, all packs (or starter decks) in the same box use the same sheet.

My method can't determine which row is the top row, and I haven't seen enough miscuts yet to determine which is the top row. The top row shown in the image is probably not correct.

The first sheet is missing two cards, Stream of Life and Cyclopean Mummy. I haven't found enough data to place these yet. (Any opening of that card using the appropriate sheet would be sufficient.) The miscut data from here (which matches except for a Spell Blast/Psychic Venom swap and a Terror/Word of Binding swap -- both have the same color and artist) seems to narrow the top row down to the The Brute row, the Lost Soul row, or the Wall of Spears row.

Fourth Edition uncommon print sheet:

The top row here is just chosen arbitrarily. There appears to be only one uncommon sheet layout.

Ice Age common print sheets:

There are two distinct Ice Age sheets that I have seen. (This matches what was previously known based on miscuts. [1])

So far, I have only seen one box that used the second sheet, and all the packs in that box used that sheet.

My method currently can't determine which row is the top row, so I used miscuts to decide which row to put on top.

Ice Age uncommon print sheet:

It's plausible that both the common sheets are paired with this one uncommon sheet, but I'd like to analyze the data some more before I make such a statement conclusively.

The Avalanche row is placed on top based on a miscut I saw on misprintedmtg.com.

Mirage (Made in Belgium):

mmgun found the photos of the common and uncommon print sheets that match my data.

Mirage (Made in USA) common print sheets:

Mirage printed in the USA uses a completely different collation method. It is only 1-dimensional, so it is harder to determine the exact sheet layout, but there is still some info. Part of this is based on analysis of the USA rare sheet versus tournament pack openings. (Note that this collation method is essential the same as what many modern sets use, although the sizes and contents of runs themselves may differ.)

There are two common sheets. Each contains two copies of half the commons. Each sheet is split into a run of 60 cards and a run of 50 cards. Based on the rare sheet, it is likely that the 60 card runs are on the top half of the sheets. The runs seem to go from left to right, then on to the next row. I'm assuming they loop. I don't know which card starts each run (assuming they loop), and I don't know which 60 card run is paired with which 50 card run. Each run always has two copies of each card in the run (so every distinct card only appears in one run).

Cards in certain positions tend to get swapped. Reddit user Nisoh_ noticed that swapped pairs in new sets tend to happen every 11 cards corresponding to modern sheets with 11 cards per row. In Mirage, swaps tend to happen every 10 cards instead matching the sheet width again. The theory is that these positions correspond with the edge of the sheet. (I'm not yet convinced whether it is the first two cards in a row, the last two, or the first and last in consecutive rows.)

The mark (!) will be placed between pairs of cards where swaps have been observed.

60 card run: Village Elder (!) Goblin Elite Infantry, Cloak of Invisibility, Civic Guildmage, Skulking Ghost, Gibbering Hyenas, Chaos Charm, Bay Falcon, Benevolent Unicorn, Restless Dead, Uktabi Faerie, Viashino Warrior, Merfolk Raiders, Ekundu Griffin, Ebony Charm, Gibbering Hyenas, Goblin Tinkerer, Cloak of Invisibility, Mtenda Herder, Skulking Ghost, Sabertooth Cobra, Kaervek's Torch, Merfolk Raiders, Benevolent Unicorn, Cadaverous Knight, Tranquil Domain, Goblin Elite Infantry, Sea Scryer, Ekundu Griffin, Sewer Rats, Uktabi Faerie, Goblin Tinkerer, Power Sink, Mtenda Herder, Fetid Horror, Sabertooth Cobra, Kaervek's Torch, Azimaet Drake, Zhalfirin Knight, Restless Dead, Tranquil Domain, Armorer Guildmage, Bay Falcon, Femeref Healer, Sewer Rats, Crash of Rhinos, Chaos Charm, Sea Scryer, Civic Guildmage, Cadaverous Knight, Village Elder (!) Viashino Warrior, Azimaet Drake, Femeref Healer, Ebony Charm, Crash of Rhinos, Armorer Guildmage, Power Sink, Zhalfirin Knight, Fetid Horror

60 card run: Rampant Growth (!) Burning Shield Askari, Jolt, Divine Offering, Dark Banishing, Regeneration, Lightning Reflexes, Boomerang, Femeref Scouts, Soulshriek, Seedling Charm, Blistering Barrier, Soar, Ward of Lights, Choking Sands, Sandstorm, Burning Shield Askari, Memory Lapse, Ritual of Steel, Bone Harvest, Giant Mantis, Flare, Sapphire Charm, Femeref Scouts, Drain Life, Sandstorm, Blistering Barrier, Boomerang, Disempower, Dark Banishing, Rampant Growth, Flare, Sandbar Crocodile, Ritual of Steel, Choking Sands, Stalking Tiger, Incinerate, Jolt, Disempower, Dirtwater Wraith, Seedling Charm, Builder’s Bane, Sandbar Crocodile, Ward of Lights, Drain Life, Giant Mantis, Incinerate, Memory Lapse, Healing Salve, Soulshriek, Stalking Tiger, Lightning Reflexes, Sapphire Charm, Divine Offering, Dirtwater Wraith, Regeneration, Builder’s Bane, Soar, Healing Salve, Bone Harvest

50 card run: Wild Elephant (!) Firebreathing, Teferi’s Curse, Teremko Griffin, Shadow Guildmage, Jolrael’s Centaur, Ekundu Cyclops, Shaper Guildmage, Prismatic Circle, Enfeeblement, Wall of Roots, Firebreathing, Kukemssa Serpent, Disenchant, Shadow Guildmage, Jungle Wurm, Ekundu Cyclops, Thirst, Prismatic Circle, Urborg Panther, Granger Guildmage, Raging Spirit, Shaper Guildmage, Teremko Griffin, Binding Agony, Jungle Wurm, Searing Spear Askari, Thirst, Ivory Charm, Gravebane Zombie, Wall of Roots, Agility, Teferi’s Curse, Noble Elephant, Binding Agony, Jolrael’s Centaur, Raging Spirit, Dream Cache, Disenchant, Gravebane Zombie, Wild Elephant, Agility, Kukemssa Serpent, Noble Elephant, Enfeeblement, Granger Guildmage, Searing Spear Askari, Dream Cache, Ivory Charm, Urborg Panther

50 card run: Serene Heart (!) Pyric Salamander, Reality Ripple, Wall of Resistance, Breathstealer, Armor of Thorns, Spitting Earth, Merfolk Seer, Femeref Knight, Feral Shadow, Fog (!) Dwarven Nomad, Ray of Command, Alarum, Grave Servitude, Mtenda Lion, Stone Rain, Dream Fighter, Pacifism, Feral Shadow, Quirion Elves, Pyric Salamander, Merfolk Seer, Dazzling Beauty, Dark Ritual, Mtenda Lion, Dwarven Nomad, Reality Ripple, Alarum, Wall of Corpses, Quirion Elves, Spitting Earth, Teferi’s Drake, Pacifism, Breathstealer, Serene Heart, Talruum Minotaur, Ray of Command, Femeref Knight, Dark Ritual, Fog, Stone Rain, Teferi’s Drake, Wall of Resistance, Grave Servitude, Armor of Thorns, Talruum Minotaur, Dream Fighter, Dazzling Beauty, Wall of Corpses

Visions (Made in Belgium):

There are images available for all their of the Belgian sheets (common, uncommon, rare). I think it is worth noting the way the commons work, though, as this is relevant to US Visions and Weatherlight as well. The common sheet is 110 cards containing 55 of the commons each twice. The remaining seven commons appear on the top half of the rare sheet. However, the are not collated into the rare slot -- instead, each pack receives one rare, one common from the rare sheet, and ten commons from the normal common sheet. This actually means that these commons have a different rarity than the usual commons.

Visions (Made in USA) common print sheet:

US Visions is collated similarly to US Mirage. There is a 60 card print run containing 30 cards each twice, and a 50 card print run containing another 25 cards each twice. The remaining 7 cards are on another sheet. (More on these cards below.)

60 card run: Fallen Askari (!) Solfatara, Giant Caterpillar, Man-o’-War, Hope Charm, Coercion, Rock Slide, Quirion Ranger, Breezekeeper, Parapet, Infernal Harvest, Suq’Ata Lancer, Spider Climb, Vision Charm, Knight of Valor, Death Watch, Song of Blood, Feral Instinct, Man-o’-War, Freewind Falcon, Funeral Charm (!) Keeper of Kookus, Bull Elephant, Vision Charm, Knight of Valor, Wicked Reward, Suq’Ata Lancer, Feral Instinct, Knight of the Mists, Resistance Fighter, Death Watch (!) Rock Slide, Emerald Charm, Vanishing, Jamuraan Lion, Coercion, Tremor, Quirion Ranger, Mystic Veil, Freewind Falcon, Infernal Harvest, Solfatara, Bull Elephant, Vanishing, Hope Charm, Fallen Askari, Keeper of Kookus, Giant Caterpillar, Mystic Veil, Jamuraan Lion, Wicked Reward, Tremor, Emerald Charm, Knight of the Mists, Parapet, Funeral Charm, Song of Blood, Spider Climb, Breezekeeper, Resistance Fighter

50 card run: Crypt Rats (!) Hearth Charm, Panther Warriors, Warrior’s Honor, Impulse, Tar Pit Warrior, Raging Gorilla, Elven Cache, Remedy, Shrieking Drake, Dark Privilege (!) Dwarven Vigilantes, River Boa, Remedy, Betrayal, Crypt Rats, Raging Gorilla, Panther Warriors, Sun Clasp, Betrayal, Wake of Vultures, Hearth Charm, River Boa, Warrior’s Honor, Cloud Elemental, Urborg Mindsucker, Fireblast, Mortal Wound, Gossamer Chains, Undo, Wake of Vultures, Talruum Champion, King Cheetah, Righteous Aura, Cloud Elemental, Tar Pit Warrior, Dwarven Vigilantes, Elven Cache, Sun Clasp, Impulse, Urborg Mindsucker, Fireblast, King Cheetah, Gossamer Chains, Shrieking Drake, Dark Privilege, Talruum Champion, Mortal Wound, Righteous Aura, Undo

As with the Belgian printing, there are seven leftover commons that must appear on another sheet. However, the leftover commons are not the same for Belgium and USA (except the two common artifacts are leftover in both).

The USA leftovers are: Python, Goblin Swine-Rider, Warthog, Infantry Veteran, Inspiration, Phyrexian Walker, and Sisay's Ring

Most USA packs contain 5 cards from the 60-card run and 5 cards from the 50-card run, and 1 leftover card. This can't be the case for all packs as it doesn't use enough cards from the 60-card run. I did observe one pack that was 8 cards from the 60-card run and 3 leftover cards. This suggests that perhaps the US rare sheet has 60 leftover commons instead of 50 like the Belgian sheet.

Weatherlight common print sheet:

Weatherlight seems to have only the Belgian printing. Collation doesn't provide any clues to which row is on top, but I have places the Abyssal Gatekeeper row on top based on color distribution clues. (In particular, this row makes the colors match the Visions sheet very well.)

This layout only includes 55 of the 63 commons. The remaining seven commons are Shattered Crypt, Bogardan Firefiend, Tolarian Drake, Benalish Knight, Harvest Wurm, Jangling Automaton, and Mind Stone. These cards appear to work in the same way as the extra commons from Visions (Made in Belgium). Each pack gets exactly one of these seven commons in a special slot in the pack along with ten commons from the normal sheet. It's plausible that these commons appear (like those from Visions) on the top half of a 10 by 10 rare sheet.

Tempest (Made in Belgium) common print sheet:

Again, I don't know for sure which row is on top, but I chose the Dauthi Marauder row as that prevents any two cards of the same color from being adjacent on the sheet. (It also seems to have a nicer color pattern.) Note that I didn't observe any Belgian Sea Monster openings, but since that was the only missing card, I could put it in the one leftover spot. There also seemed to be extra collation weirdness around the right edge of the sheet, but I think I have it sorted out.

Tempest (Made in USA) common print sheet:

This is another printing that uses modern style print runs (like US Mirage and US Visions).

There are two 60-card runs and two 50-card runs presumably spread over two 10 by 11 sheets. I wasn't quite able to complete the second 50-card run.

60-card run: Disturbed Burial (!) Elvish Fury, Lightning Blast, Wind Drake, Hero’s Resolve, Gravedigger, Rootwalla, Fireslinger, Counterspell, Pacifism, Disturbed Burial, Pincher Beetles, Mogg Fanatic, Power Sink, Hero’s Resolve, Endless Scream, Rootwalla, Rolling Thunder, Wind Drake, Disenchant, Coercion, Skyshroud Troll, Lightning Elemental, Power Sink, Master Decoy, Diabolic Edict, Broken Fall, Fireslinger, Horned Turtle, Anoint, Dark Banishing, Rootbreaker Wurm, Mogg Fanatic, Counterspell, Master Decoy, Coercion, Broken Fall, Kindle, Rootwater Hunter, Cloudchaser Eagle, Endless Scream, Skyshroud Troll, Rolling Thunder, Sea Monster, Pacifism, Diabolic Edict, Rootbreaker Wurm, Lightning Blast, Horned Turtle, Cloudchaser Eagle, Dark Banishing, Elvish Fury, Lightning Elemental, Rootwater Hunter, Anoint, Gravedigger, Pincher Beetles, Kindle, Sea Monster, Disenchant

60-card run: Manakin, Spike Drone, Mogg Conscripts, Circle of Protection: Red, Shadow Rift, Squee’s Toy, Skyshroud Ranger, Mogg Raider, Mounted Archers, Winged Sliver, Spinal Graft (!) Lotus Petal, Sandstone Warrior, Circle of Protection: Green, Thalakos Mistfolk, Clot Sliver, Metallic Sliver, Stun, Mounted Archers, Capsize, Dauthi Horror (!) Tranquility, Manakin, Armored Pegasus, Winged Sliver, Darkling Stalker, Frog Tongue, Squee’s Toy, Circle of Protection: Green, Manta Riders, Dauthi Horror (!) Respite, Mogg Raider, Coiled Tinviper, Capsize, Darkling Stalker, Tranquility, Blood Frenzy, Metallic Sliver, Shadow Rift, Dauthi Slayer, Skyshroud Ranger, Sandstone Warrior, Circle of Protection: Red, Lotus Petal, Clot Sliver, Respite, Mogg Conscripts, Soltari Foot Soldier, Manta Riders, Spinal Graft, Spike Drone, Stun, Armored Pegasus, Thalakos Mistfolk, Dauthi Slayer, Frog Tongue, Blood Frenzy, Soltari Foot Soldier, Coiled Tinviper

50-card run: Enfeeblement, Muscle Sliver, Canyon Wildcat, Twitch, Clergy en-Vec, Evincar’s Justice, Skyshroud Elf, Wall of Diffusion, Giant Crab, Elite Javelineer, Marsh Lurker, Rampant Growth, Flowstone Giant, Spell Blast, Advance Scout, Enfeeblement, Trained Armodon, Aftershock, Giant Crab, Soltari Lancer, Marsh Lurker, Canopy Spider, Canyon Wildcat, Dream Cache, Soltari Trooper, Pit Imp, Rampant Growth, Lowland Giant, Spell Blast, Clergy en-Vec, Dauthi Marauder, Trained Armodon, Wall of Diffusion, Time Ebb, Elite Javelineer, Evincar’s Justice, Muscle Sliver, Flowstone Giant, Dream Cache, Advance Scout, Pit Imp, Canopy Spider, Aftershock, Twitch, Soltari Lancer, Dauthi Marauder, Skyshroud Elf, Lowland Giant, Time Ebb, Soltari Trooper

50-card run fragment: Circle of Protection: White, Dark Ritual (!) Heartwood Dryad, Giant Strength, Thalakos Seer, Talon Sliver, Servant of Volrath, Reality Anchor, Crown of Flames, Gaseous Form, Circle of Protection: Blue, Blood Pet, Bayou Dragonfly, Heart Sliver, Volrath’s Curse, Circle of Protection: White, Rats of Rath, Natural Spring

50-card run fragment: Stone Rain, Thalakos Seer, Circle of Protection: Shadow, Dark Ritual (!) Seeker of Skybreak, Crown of Flames, Thalakos Sentry, Circle of Protection: Blue, Sadistic Glee, Heartwood Dryad, Shatter, Shimmering Wings, Circle of Protection: Black, Rats of Rath, Reality Anchor

50-card run fragment: Giant Strength, Thalakos Sentry, Talon Sliver, Sadistic Glee, Bayou Dragonfly, Shatter, Volrath’s Curse

50-card run fragment: Heart Sliver, Gaseous Form, Circle of Protection: Shadow, Servant of Volrath, Natural Spring

50-card run fragment: Circle of Protection: Black, Blood Pet, Seeker of Skybreak

50-card run fragment: Stone Rain, Shimmering Wings

Portal notes:

Portal packs have interesting collation. I haven't been able to finish the print runs for any sheets, but I have some notes. Each pack contains 8 cards from a color-seeded print run, then the rare, then two generic uncommons, then 5 generic commons. The color-seeded runs contain a tip card explaining how to make a deck for one of the ally color combinations (UB "Card Domination", WU "Air Superiority", WG "The Horde", RG "Gargantuans", or RB "Fiery Doom"), two corresponding basic lands, three special commons and one special uncommon.

There are 55 generic commons which seem to make up a 110 card sheet with each appearing twice, although I wasn't able to identify print run structure.

Generic red commons: Burning Cloak, Goblin Bully, Highland Giant, Hill Giant, Hulking Goblin, Lava Axe, Lizard Warrior, Minotaur Warrior, Raging Cougar, Raging Goblin, Scorching Spear

Generic blue commons: Cloak of Feathers, Cloud Pirates, Coral Eel, Giant Octopus, Merfolk of the Pearl Trident, Owl Familiar, Sorcerous Sight, Storm Crow, Tidal Surge, Time Ebb, Touch of Brilliance

Generic green commons: Elite Cat Warrior, Elven Cache, Fruition, Gorilla Warrior, Grizzly Bears, Mobilize, Panther Warriors, Redwood Treefolk, Rowan Treefolk, Stalking Tiger, Willow Dryad

Generic black commons: Bog Imp, Bog Raiders, Craven Knight, Feral Shadow, Howling Fury, Mind Rot, Muck Rats, Python, Raise Dead, Skeletal Crocodile, Vampiric Touch

Generic white commons: Armored Pegasus, Border Guard, Breath of Life, Devoted Hero, False Peace, Fleet-Footed Monk, Keen-Eyed Archers, Sacred Knight, Sacred Nectar, Spotted Griffin, Steadfastness

There are (probably) 35 generic uncommons. It looks like these probably occur at least 4 times each, but I don't know what the sheet breakdown would be. I have determined 34 of them, but I'm not sure if the last green one is Anaconda or Plant Elemental. (Also, some of these were not observed, but inferred from color balance.)

Generic red uncommons: Boiling Seas, Fire Imp, Flashfires, Lava Flow, Mountain Goat, Scorching Winds, Wall of Granite

Generic blue uncommons: Baleful Stare, Command of Unsummoning, Deep-Sea Serpent, Flux, Ingenious Thief, Personal Tutor, Withering Gaze

Generic green uncommons: Bull Hippo, Deep Wood, Moon Sprite, Natural Spring, Needle Storm, Untamed Wilds

Generic white uncommons: Ardent Militia, Defiant Stand, Renewing Dawn, Starlight, Valorous Charge, Venerable Monk, Vengeance

Generic black uncommons: Arrogant Vampire, Bog Wraith, Dry Spell, Gravedigger, Nature’s Ruin, Rain of Tears, Virtue’s Ruin

I don't know the length of the seeded print runs or what sheets they would be on, but it seems like some of the uncommons appear at least twice. If the rarities of all the seeded uncommons are the same, that would mean it's a multiple of 64 (which seems strange).

Card Domination commons: Deja Vu, Snapping Drake, Symbol of Unsummoning, Mind Knives, Undying Beast, Serpent Warrior

Card Domination uncommons: Theft of Dreams, Man-o’-War, Assassin’s Blade, Noxious Toad

Air Superiority commons: Wind Drake, Omen, Horned Turtle, Path of Peace, Regal Unicorn, Foot Soldiers

Air Superiority uncommons: Mystic Denial, Cloud Spirit, Wall of Swords, Starlit Angel

The Horde commons: Jungle Lion, Elvish Ranger, Monstrous Growth, Warrior’s Charge, Angelic Blessing, Knight Errant

The Horde uncommons: Bee Sting, Seasoned Marshal, Charging Paladin, (also whicever of Anaconda and Plant Elemental isn't generic)

Gargantuans commons: Fire Snake, Stone Rain, Volcanic Hammer, Giant Spider, Spined Wurm, Nature’s Lore

Gargantuans uncommons: Rain of Salt, Hulking Cyclops, Winter’s Grasp, Whiptail Wurm

Fiery Doom commons: Soul Shred, Skeletal Snake, Hand of Death, Raging Minotaur, Spitting Earth, Cavern Giant

Fiery Doom uncommons: Charging Bandits, Vampiric Feast, Blaze, Desert Drake

[1] Previous Librarities topics about the two Ice Age common sheets: (1) (2)
Last edited by lethe on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Re: Calculated print sheets based on pack openings

Post by mmgun » Wed May 09, 2018 10:21 am

Are you Jacob Munk on Facebook ? Since he started the same project about reconstructing an ice age common sheet.
Keith did start to reconstruct an ice age uncommon sheet.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed May 09, 2018 10:34 am

this is both common sheets reconstruct result so far ( might contain still errors)
https://ibb.co/cPK3uS

The reconstruction is based on many miscuts that were posted on FB. However, i still see some errors in both layouts( your text layout and the partial picture sheet) ,which need further clarification.

lethe

Post by lethe » Thu May 10, 2018 6:05 am

I am not Jason Munk.

Sorry, I'll be blunt: even seeing this layout, I don't think I have made a mistake. It is possible, though, so please help me see why I might be wrong. It is hard for me to argue for or against this alternate layout without looking at the miscuts it is based on, but I will try to offer some explanations for why the discrepancies might be errors in the construction of the other layout.

The top of the yellow sheet is similar (to my top sheet), but there must have been two mistakes. It looks like Chub Toad and Brown Ouphe got swapped which would be easy to do when using miscuts as there are both 1/1 green creatures with the same artist. The other mistake must have been connecting Soul Kiss and Chub Toad (or Bone Shaman) or Kelsinko Ranger and Mountain Goat. It could be that the white card to the left of Mountain Goat was misidentified or the green card under Soul Kiss was misidentified (unlikely I think).

The other discrepancy on the yellow sheet is the Fyndhorn Elves and Arctic Foxes pairing. This appears to be an accidental mixing of information from both sheets. The Fyndhorn Elves appear on the bottom of my top sheet and the Arctic Foxes appear on the left of my top sheet, but they only appear together on the bottom sheet.

The Woolly Spider and Barbed Sextant pairing from the blue sheet appears on my top sheet. (It didn't fit on the yellow sheet because of the Chub Toad mixup.) The Barbed Sextant and Kelsinko Ranger vertical pairing is more problematic. I can't explain it, so I'd be interested in the miscut that supports it. There's zero support for a white card under Barbed Sextant in my data.

The Norritt and Adarkar Unicorn pairing from the blue sheet doesn't match anywhere, but I do have an Adarkar Unicorn above a Norritt which is at least the right color.

The Arctic Foxes, Meteor Shower, and Pyknite horizontal triple doesn't match anywhere, but my sheets have cards of the correct color in such positions.

I didn't notice any other discrepancies, but I'd be very interested in any miscut that directly contradicts my layouts. (I guess it's also always possible there's yet another sheet, but I don't believe that's what's happening here.)

I am pretty confident of my premise for these reconstructions, as the model of pack collation I'm using for Ice Age is pretty simple and matches the data very well with these sheets. The model was formulated by looking at collation of sets with known sheet layouts (mostly Legends commons so far) which provides good independent evidence for it. The lower sheet is more likely to be in error because it is based on less data, but if there was an error, it would be mostly likely to be some transposition or permutation of a few cards in a column or maybe adjacent columns. I'd have to recheck my data to see where the evidence is weakest.

To provide support for my explanation, I will try to give a quick explanation. For the sake of explanation, let's start with Mistfolk on the bottom-right corner of my top sheet. Some number between 1 and 5 is chosen. Then that many cards are taken from each column in order. For example, let's take 3. Then after Mistfolk will be Arenson's Aura, then Balduvian Bears, then back to Juniper Order Druid, then Hoar Shade, then Snow Devil, then Zuran Enchanter, etc. At the other end of the sheet when it gets to Pestilence Rats it will go back to the right column with Counterspell and a new number between 1 and 5 is chosen for the next pass. A pack might start at any point. The top of the sheet wraps around. (For a few packs, the top 5 and bottom 6 rows wrapped separately -- this also happens in other products, famously with Legends uncommons.)

Here is a link to the data set I'm using. I haven't cleaned it up, so there may be a few mistakes, but it should be pretty self-explanatory.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Thu May 10, 2018 4:54 pm

yep, there are several errors in the picture layout, even the columns might be wrong.

Here the partial UC sheet:

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Thu May 10, 2018 6:52 pm

looks like this gorilla pack is from the promo sheet, since it does not fit the common sheet pattern

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 am

This is fascinating to follow, folks :-O :-O :-O — don't stop now!
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

lethe

Post by lethe » Fri May 11, 2018 7:51 am

mmgun wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:54 pm
Here the partial UC sheet:
Think you for sharing! It is very similar to what I came up with. The only mismatches I see are Soul Barrier + Mind Warp (I have Soul Barrier + Icequake), Orcish Healer + Withering Wisps (I have Orcish Healer + Mind Warp), Drifts of the Dead + Nacre Talisman (I have Drift of the Dead + Sunstone), and Force Void + Icequake (I have Force Void + Withering Wisps). These are all the same color at least. I can't tell well enough if any of these would have had evidence beyond color or miscut shape (e.g. artist). (I assume the horizontal layout is arbitrary, but then am not sure why Maddening Wind is put where it is or why Nature's Lore and Thunder Wall didn't get paired.)
BillBo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 am
This is fascinating to follow, folks :-O :-O :-O — don't stop now!
I'm glad you're interested! I think I will have more information to add soon. (Mirage...)

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sat May 12, 2018 5:37 pm

the maddening wind is located wrong in the big picture, according to these:

lethe

Post by lethe » Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 am

I've updated the first post with some info about Fourth Edition and Mirage. I didn't get as much as I wanted yet, but I think it is still significant.
mmgun wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:37 pm
the maddening wind is located wrong in the big picture, according to these:
Very nice :) This does match my layout.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue May 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Some foreign ( German, italian, portoguese) mirage miscuts seem to fit your "Made in Belgium" Sheet Layout, which makes sense, since the foreign packs are in deed made in belgium. For Top Row refer to this:

according to this your Row 3 is the actual top row :-)

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm

looks like you were right :-)

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm

the uc sheet as well:

lethe

Post by lethe » Thu May 17, 2018 7:10 am

mmgun wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm
looks like you were right :-)
mmgun wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm
the uc sheet as well:
Fantastic! Seeing the original sheets is always the best, so thanks for digging these up!

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am

It's nice to see someone else working on this.
I haven't devoted as much time to it as I would have liked.
Here's a quick write up of what I'd done a couple years ago.

http://forum.magiclibrarities.net/forum ... 967#p89967