Has anyone dealt with ... and another question

Everything else about trading. Specific Magiclibrarities Hero and Legends Permanent Lists and Legends External Links.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Has anyone dealt with ... and another question

Post by Rainsford » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:08 pm

I have a person asking about a number of my MtG items up on eBay. Besides asking for a discount (rolls eyes), he is also asking if we can deal off eBay. This thows up a flag as most of the time that has always caused me problems.

Anyway, so the two qustions I have are:

1. Is there a relatively secure way to do couple thousand dollar transaction off eBay with an International buyer and still retain some protection against being screwed?

2. Has anyone had any dealings, on or off eBay, with best_h_bayer (he/she has a japanese email address starting with hasekiti2005@...)

Best regards,

Rainsford

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:19 pm

There are escrow services that protect both sides in deals like that. They cost money of course. The only one I ever used was escrow.com. I had no problems.

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:32 pm

Sometimes an easy to way to see if the person is a flake, is to suggest an escrow service.....if they freak out about it, then go ahead and RUN.......

Later EddieO

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:07 pm

I know I've heard that name before; I'm pretty sure he/she's legit. Just ask to third-party it. Or ask for payment upfront.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Or ask for payment upfront.
If you're going to do this, use something other than Paypal. Payment up front in no guarantee when they are involved.

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:42 pm

Thank you for all the feedback!

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Did he give a good explanation about why he would want a deal off Ebay ?

In my case, I asked you that to save the Ebay fees. But other than this, there is no reason why the transaction should be dealt off Ebay. But if he asks for a discount, that must be for the same reasons.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:24 am

If you do it through ebay he gets a discount in the sense that you pay the rediculous ebay fees and thus receive less money in the end.

grandeur84
Librarities Member

Post by grandeur84 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:32 pm

He is legit, a moderately big buyer in Japan and I've dealt with him in the past. If you're afraid of taking Paypal for a few K worth because of fees and security, ask for an MO or direct bank transfer.