Freeing some graded cards

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Freeing some graded cards

Post by Alifromcairo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:30 am

Hi Members,

This video shows some guys from the old school community (93/94 format) breaking cases of A/B Taigas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXtbs1o19EA

I'm not into graded cards myself and I found it quiet subversive, keeping an amused eye on these moves :wink:

But I'm pretty sure that some people here will not...

Just wanted to know from you guys what is your thoughts about this !
Visit the Shores of Imagination

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Re: Freeing some graded cards

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:56 pm

I prefer cards for playing, which is difficult to do inside such a plastic case.
I ordered some Beta sinkholes to play with once, and one that I received was graded as an 8. I had not expected to receive a graded card. I cracked it open and played it.
I notice that the cards they opened in the video were graded 6 and 7.5. Not very high grades.
I like the idea of the cards being able to be played as they were intended, and really like the idea of an old school 93/94 format, but I'm concerned over the affect this could have on card conditions. I hope that the players use sleeves and care for the cards. I'd also like to see the format allow the use of reprinted versions such as those in Revised and 4th edition. Some of these groups only allow you to play with the original printings.

Tav

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Nothing wrong with cracking open a graded card to play with, since that is their main purpose,especially for grade less than 8 where the grade has little effect on the value of the card. The one thing that bothers me is how this skews the statistics maintained by PSA/BGS on how many cards with a particular grade exist. I don't know if either one has a process for removing a card from their records if it is known to have been opened.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Hey all,

Yeah, I cracked out all my cards that were 8.5 or lower... at those grades they're better to have raw to play with (over 100 crackouts). I've even cracked some 9's to fill in sets (including beta Moxes and an Ancerstral Recall). I know you can send the flips to PSA and they're supposed to adjust their Population Reports, but I'm unsure how often they do. As for Beckett... no idea.

Honestly, I've always felt slabs were only for the "best of the best" as it were. 9's are OK, 9.5's and 10's are best. Everything else belongs in decks, to be played and loved. =D>

Just my $0.02 worth.

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Alifromcairo

Post by Alifromcairo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:33 pm

I agree with you all that cards which are graded above 8 should be preserved as collectors pieces, but below that, the right place is the battlefield ! :-D
I know you can send the flips to PSA and they're supposed to adjust their Population Reports, but I'm unsure how often they do.
I guess that nobody does ? :-s

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm guessing not very often. I tossed most of my flips at first until I knew about sending them in. At that point I started saving them...

I have over 100, probably tossed over 100, and I'm just one person... :-P

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Alifromcairo

Post by Alifromcairo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Busted ! You're freeing 9 grades ! With Yoda's lightsaber ? :-D

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:19 pm

thulnanth wrote:
I have over 100, probably tossed over 100, and I'm just one person... :-P
Blinding Angel?!?!

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:55 am

Alifromcairo wrote:Busted ! You're freeing 9 grades ! With Yoda's lightsaber ? :-D
LOL, no... although if I had a lightsaber I'd probably use it. Most of my later crackouts were 9's, as I was trying to both finish my artist set in mint and thin out my excess graded cards (keeping mostly 9.5/10's).
10qii wrote:Blinding Angel?!?!
Yeah, like I said I collected graded cards to get the "best of the best" of cards that I loved, not necessarily to complete sets. I had a bunch of angels that were cool, so I graded some of them. At this point my graded stuff is more of a random assortment of singles, rather than full sets.

... except for Unlimited... I am going for a graded set of that (someday). :-P

Take it easy,
Jared

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:11 am

thulnanth wrote:... except for Unlimited... I am going for a graded set of that (someday). :-P

Take it easy,
Jared
I have a PSA(?) 9 Nightmare available for purchase if you do not have one. Just let me know when you start working on the set.

Clay