New Power 9 proxies

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

After previewing these cards, will you be buying a set?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:53 pm

I will be sure to buy a set of these cards
20%
I will surely not be buying a set of these cards
80%

Total votes: 25

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

New Power 9 proxies

Post by silver.paladin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:53 pm

I do not know how many people may have seen this already (I do not remember it discussed on the Library previously), but it appears one vendor is ready to start mass producing Power 9 proxies (as well as some foils).
Personally, to me, I find these cards kind of ugly (and I never really cared for their token cards either) - but it also appears to me, that the way they are doing these cards, that they are not breaking any kind of copyrights.
The art on the cards are not too bad, just the design of the cards I find to be less than desireable.
http://gamingetc.com/powernine.htm

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:45 pm

Well, there are only 5,000 of each, & for a buck that ain't so bad...

If I was a beginner, DREAMING of the day I owned a P9 card, I'd feel great. But, I've moved on to getting MISPRINTED/ ALTERNATE (like my playtest copies) versions of each P9. So, I'll hold off.

But really.... a dollar? There are enough poor MTG players out there to sell these cards quickly. I'd imagine they'll be 5-10 dollars each once they are all sold out.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:05 pm

I agree with silver.paladin that these token P9 have followed the ugliness of Gaming Etc's tokens. Hence a big fat resounding no I will not buy these.

The art is mediocre, the layout is a twisted bad version of the new 8ed layout.

I also agree with fvzappa that players who cannot buy P9 will buy these for a buck to proxy out their decks.

Here is the big question. Will these be legal in Vintage? I had always heard the proxies were alllowed but only by modifying a real M:TG card. I don't cae to look up any recent rules revision on this but am this wrong?

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:42 pm

mintcollector wrote:Here is the big question. Will these be legal in Vintage? I had always heard the proxies were alllowed but only by modifying a real M:TG card. I don't cae to look up any recent rules revision on this but am this wrong?
Well first, they're not allowed in sanctioned tournaments. Recent high-profile unsanctioned 5- and 10-proxy tournaments have allowed proxies only with marker on basic land, and that's not going to change because their reasons for doing so are very strong.

I don't see the point in paying money for something like this. If I'm going to make a proxy, I'm going to take a Sharpie to a land. If I can play a card that's essentially free, why would I spend money to get something that has no advantage other than possibly looking slightly better.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:10 am

from their forum:

"In the first week, we have about 50% of the run spoken for, way above our expectations. We truly love them and hope many of you get a lot of good use playing with them and collecting them."

better get your orders in if ya want some.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:26 pm

These are terrible looking. I've never liked their tokens either.

...but I bought a set. :(

Jess
Legendary Wet Dreams Tokens Creator

Post by Jess » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:30 pm

I find them plain ugly. I'm playing MtG, not some cheap anime-style CCG...

Porkinho

Post by Porkinho » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:01 pm

UGLY... Wouldn't buy it for a cent... Long live the old fashioned & original layout of the P9!

Thrond
Librarities Legend

Post by Thrond » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:04 pm

They're so ugly I'd rather play with basic land with "mox pearl" written on it...

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:12 pm

considering they had to make a whole new layout and not enfringe on any copyrighted material, i think they turned out pretty nice. they arent beautiful, but they are better looking than most third party cards imo. 99 cents? sign me up. theyll go nicely in playtest decks.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:48 pm

Man, those things are UGLY. I'm certainly not going to be wasting any money on them.

They'll be illegal in most proxy events, seeing as they not only have non-MTG backs (so they could show through sleeves), but they also don't have the card text or even the real names on them.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:36 pm

yeah, i'd only buy them if I made some inapporpriate comment in front of the store owner and had to buy them out of embarrasement induced guilt.

either that or there was some unthinkable situation where I thought buying them would impress a girl.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:22 am

i just got mine in the mail and they are very nice looking. they turned out better than i expected. the foils are extremely well done and are actually better than regular magic foils. definately worth the money. i recommend them to anyone here.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Power 9 Proxies

Post by chaosdjinn » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:46 pm

I highly recommend the purchase of this product- the sheer novelty is well worth it. If you get the foils you will be truly amazed. I have been in the game for a long time and have virtually eschewed all non-WOTC magic-related products(tokens, etc) but took a gamble with these.
I can confidently state that the gamble paid off in the quality of the product I received.

I think that the built-in rarity factor on these will be a driver of value and think the non-foil sets will be valued in the 120-150 range per set and the foils will be in the 400-500 range per set within a few years.

From an aesthetic point of view, I can really play Type 0 now!
Peace,
the chaosdjinn

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Power 9 Proxies

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:57 pm

chaosdjinn wrote: I think that the built-in rarity factor on these will be a driver of value and think the non-foil sets will be valued in the 120-150 range per set and the foils will be in the 400-500 range per set within a few years.
I will buy All the Foils and Non foil Set still existing,question is to know,how many years,I will have to wait,before getting these prices :lol:
As a Collector,I bought them more like the First of their kind,than thinking that some Money could be made out of them.Since 2 Members are really happy with their purchases,I can't wait to get my Foil Set :D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.