DCI foil Crystalline Sliver

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

psrex
Librarities Legend

DCI foil Crystalline Sliver

Post by psrex » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:00 pm

From Brian David-Marshall's weekly column there is mention of a prize given to the winner of the millionth sanctioned Magic tournament. The prize was a framed display of all FNM promos, and the foil Crystalline Sliver is included. Check it out on the 4th row, 3rd column.

Do you think that this says anything about an impending release, or is it just in there to be cool?

Also, this means that there is at least one legitimately obtained copy of the card out in circulation, and there could be more.

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Interesting to see wizards actually standing up for a mistake they made, maybe they just needed one more card to get a perfect square to frame ;-)
Or they just want to do it because they can, so they can say "in your face, rarities collectors!" [-X
I think it's cool they put it in the spotlight at least, but might raise the price even further if people want to make their own framed set like this :-)

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Re: DCI foil Crystalline Sliver

Post by mintcollector » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:54 pm

psrex wrote:From Brian David-Marshall's weekly column there is mention of a prize given to the winner of the millionth sanctioned Magic tournament. The prize was a framed display of all FNM promos, and the foil Crystalline Sliver is included. Check it out on the 4th row, 3rd column.

Do you think that this says anything about an impending release, or is it just in there to be cool?

Also, this means that there is at least one legitimately obtained copy of the card out in circulation, and there could be more.
It is quite interesting that this card is in the frame. I wonder if this item was produced far in advance for the impending 1 millionth tournament or if indeed, Slivers may appear someday. This might be a really good ask Wizards question. If the card is in the frame, where are the rest of them?

rick21n
Librarities Legend

Post by rick21n » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:02 pm

I am wondering where you get that Black Tablecloth that says MTG Premier Shop on it. All of my tablecloths are the 10th Anniversary ones.

Reliquium

Sweet

Post by Reliquium » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:15 am

Sweet prize.

Are the cards in order of release? That might give a clue as to whether they plan to release the Sliver.
"There are two types of people in the world: Human beings, and you." - Mom

Dr. Doom
Librarities Hero

Post by Dr. Doom » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:38 pm

seems like people are trying to get rid of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTG-Foil-3x-Crystal ... dZViewItem
I am many!

Charlie
Librarities Legend

Post by Charlie » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:03 pm

Reminds me of the DCI Disenchant :'-(

Dr. Doom
Librarities Hero

Post by Dr. Doom » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:13 pm

hmmm, that would mean that within several weeks you can buy them for 10 bucks max.
i think i will sell mine (3) now when they're still hot.
I am many!

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:48 pm

If they release them, cool. I've got a foil of almost every other good sliver including the other promo one.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:00 pm

With the FNM cycle back on track, should these cards ever be released somehow, it won't be via FNM. I smell a judge mailing coming up. Maybe, just maybe there might be enough for a special MPR mailng!

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:42 pm

It would be a good idea to dump them now.

Squt

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:07 pm

I have always wondered why people kept picking them up at $200+ when it was absolutely certain they'd only drop sharply in price sooner or later :-\

Reliquium

Post by Reliquium » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:35 pm

There's only the one auction for three of them. That's one person trying to get rid of them, maybe thinking the same thing, that they're going to be released because of the inclusion in the framed set. Doesn't necessarily mean that the seller knows anything for sure. But yeah, there're a bunch of these sitting around somewhere, and they'll probably, at the least, trickle onto the market until they just aren't that rare anymore. Not a wise long-term investment.
"There are two types of people in the world: Human beings, and you." - Mom

Raven_Fire

Post by Raven_Fire » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:15 pm

mintcollector wrote:Maybe, just maybe there might be enough for a special MPR mailng!
Kind of similar to how they unloaded all the extra JSS Crusades. I'd be cool with that!

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:27 am

Ah, finally official-ish word about this card at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mt ... zards/0406
Q: "Hello. I was reading Brian David-Marshall's article, 'From Humble Beginnings,' and noticed the Crystalline Sliver in the picture of all the Friday Night Magic promo cards. What is the story behind this card since it is much harder to come by than the other FNM cards?"
--David
Green Isle, MN, USA

A: From Aaron Forsythe, Magic R&D:

"Maybe I'm not supposed to even tell this story, but whatever. You asked.

"Crystalline Sliver was slated to be an FNM prize a few years back (the collector number implies it would have been for March 2003, right between Muscle Sliver and Capsize). Someone managed to pull off a heist of several sleeves of them before they could be distributed, most of which were eventually recovered. However, enough went missing that we didn't have quite enough to use the card as an FNM prize.

"We still have lots of them here tucked away, and may eventually distribute them somehow."
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade