fake stuff on ebay... who was documenting fakes?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

coolio
Librarities Legend

fake stuff on ebay... who was documenting fakes?

Post by coolio » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:45 am

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrp ... oulQ5fcard

so i'm browsing around for power.. (go figure)

uh.. found this.. who was it that was documenting fakes?

i personally might be interested in getting one to distinguish the diff and see wuts up with this..

how his 'beta jet' is in the 400's despite selling blatant forgeries is beyond me tho..  ??? ??? ???

-Morgan

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Re: fake stuff on ebay... who was documenting fake

Post by hammr7 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:30 am

Well, given where he is from, if he only claims Unlimited Proxies, and only sells Alpa and Beta power, then he might be telling the truth.  

In one of the other proxy threads I told the story of Unlimited "proxies".  If this is the same batch, they originated out of either upstate New York or southern Ontario.  My guess was always Rochester because of Kodak being located there (perhaps some employee using some of their fancy R & D printing equipment).

Anyway, 7 or 8 years ago someone did a knock-off of all the better Unlimited cards, including the P-9.  I still have two fakes, Gauntlet and Manipulator, from that printing.   If you are looking at them without a real card for comparison they look pretty good.   Under a microscope the printing method is different (not a hex-dot pattern like Wizards uses).  When compared card to card with real Unlimited, the cardstock is a little light and a bit too flexible.  The pictures also seem a little too bright (sort of like Alt 4th).  Also, they don't pass the light test (I'm not positive, but I think they were too transparant).

These cards have been resurfacing every year or two since.  When they first came out a lot of collectors got them as proxies, and a few tried to pass them as real.  I think the original attempt got "hot" with the police quickly.  But every couple of years somebody comes along thinking they got the greatest deal ever, only to find it is more of these "proxies".   It wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the original players who got these were now selling them, as well as the cards they were proxies for.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:01 pm

I'm the one that was documenting fakes. These are probably either from the batch that came out of California in 97/98 which I have an example of here:

http://www.apathyhouse.com/mtg/fake/page50.php

Or, they could be out of the Rochester/Buffalo NY batch from the same era. They are in fact 2 different sets of fakes. I'm not sure of which cards other than the p9 were made in this one. I have seen a beta Raging River from the NY batch completely fail the bend test though, so I'd assume these are either out of CA or a third batch that I don't know about.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

coolio
Librarities Legend

Post by coolio » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:23 am

so u gonna buy one and c how it is?

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:49 pm

I might, depending on the price.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:34 pm

I assume that my P9 proxy is different than the ones Hammr7 is discussing- I have some P9 & Legends cards that are a bit dark on the back, seem okay on the front, & even pass the bend test. These were printed after hours at WoTC. They are a very close representation of the real thing, & referred to as "Dark Power".

Charlie
Librarities Legend

Post by Charlie » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:05 am

Just fall victim to a ebay scam  :'(
The seller said it's a badly folded and creased beta mox emerald, and what I got is a CE, with round corners, the "International Edition" text got scratched so much so I can't really guranteed that it was really there, and its gold border painted black ugly
Look at my Ebay auctions!
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =3&rows=50
Rare tokens, CE Mox, Zodiac Dragon, foil Brainstorm and MisD