Complete Oversized Set 6x9 price high ?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Gary_a_Getty
Librarities Hero

Complete Oversized Set 6x9 price high ?

Post by Gary_a_Getty » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:40 pm

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=002

Well, i would like to have - and to buy - a complete set but ....

The riserve price is 800 $. Seems to me a little bit high ......

I have already some 6x9 cards and 2 Radiant 99 too (dissipate and fireball). The 2 Radiant 99 i have bought for 2 euro for one and not for 75$ as claimed. Maybe i was lucky .... but 800$ seems to me always hight too much ....

What do you think about ? Really some of those cards are so rare ?

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Re: Complete Oversized Set 6x9 price high ?

Post by ende73 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Gary_a_Getty wrote:http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=002

Well, i would like to have - and to buy - a complete set but ....

The riserve price is 800 $. Seems to me a little bit high ......

I have already some 6x9 cards and 2 Radiant 99 too (dissipate and fireball). The 2 Radiant 99 i have bought for 2 euro for one and not for 75$ as claimed. Maybe i was lucky .... but 800$ seems to me always hight too much ....

What do you think about ? Really some of those cards are so rare ?

Roma, Italia ????!!!

Ma chi sei ? :wink:

E' raro vedere italiani qui.

Gary_a_Getty
Librarities Hero

Post by Gary_a_Getty » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:49 pm

Ciao Enrico, non so se ci conosciamo, essendo fondamentalmente casual player partecipo di fatto solo ai prerelease quindi non frequento molto l'abiente; forse ci siamo visti al Galactus o forse da Strategia&Tattica, e se sei di Roma Sud forse da Defcon o a Terra di Mezzo o forse no. Frequento il sito dai tempi di Bob Flaminio ma solo da poco mi sono iscritto. Spero magari di vedere una volta la tua immensa collezione ... :-)

I apologize for OT with Enrico, but only the italians can understand Italians that they meet themselves "abroad" ...… :-D

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

Price is Fair

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi,

I'm the seller of the 6x9 set linked above, and the price is exceptionally fair. And yes, you WERE lucky to get a Radiant '99 card for a couple euro, the seller obviously didn't know what he had, or lowered the price due to lack of demand. From the auction:
6x9 Card Values:

I received a note from an interested buyer pointing out that the popular magic retailer Troll and Toad doesn't valuate the Radiant '99 cards as highly as I do. This is true, because they are basing their pricing on demand, not rarity.

The average buyer with a passing interest in oversized cards doesn't really care about "Crimson Hellkite" or "Dissipate". Only a collector of rarities would understand how rare the item is, and this is definitely an auction for collectors. Does it really matter if a retailer says 6x9 Cursed Scroll is $50 instead of $75, when the card is so rare you aren't ever going to find it in the retailer's stock? By the same token, a serious 6x9 collector doesn't care how "cool" a 6x9 Black Lotus card is, based on rarity alone it should price out somewhere between $12 and $20, and not $30 as it goes for at Troll and Toad.

Be that as it may, if anybody else is concerned that I am overestimating the value of Radiant '99 cards based on the value that Troll and Toad places on them: assume for a moment that Troll and Toad are 100% correct and I am out of my mind, following that line of reasoning, the actual price of this set should be computed based on Troll and Toad's prices. Okay, I'm game. If you go to their website and add up their prices for 6x9's, this set would cost you $1070 to acquire. My estimate comes out to $890, and the reserve is $800... that's a 25% savings off T&T's pricing and 11% off my estimate of the set's value. Either way it's a bargain.

Do the math folks--you won't see anything like this on eBay any time soon.
Bob Flaminio assured me of the rarity of this set years ago when I completed it, and though we never discussed a price, I'm not one to gouge. I welcome anybody who thinks they can find a complete 6x9 set (or build one) for cheaper than $800 to do so. Good luck.

Here is the list of complete 6x9 sets I have seen for sale in my 10 years of collecting:
1. Mine, ending today

Thanks for your interest.
-- Plastered_Dragon -- A.K.A. Chuck Seggelin
* The Stone Rain Project v2.0 * My Blog *

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Price is Fair

Post by dragsamou » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:52 pm

Plastered_Dragon wrote:Hi,

I'm the seller of the 6x9 set linked above, and the price is exceptionally fair. And yes, you WERE lucky to get a Radiant '99 card for a couple euro, the seller obviously didn't know what he had, or lowered the price due to lack of demand. From the auction:
6x9 Card Values:

I received a note from an interested buyer pointing out that the popular magic retailer Troll and Toad doesn't valuate the Radiant '99 cards as highly as I do. This is true, because they are basing their pricing on demand, not rarity.

The average buyer with a passing interest in oversized cards doesn't really care about "Crimson Hellkite" or "Dissipate". Only a collector of rarities would understand how rare the item is, and this is definitely an auction for collectors. Does it really matter if a retailer says 6x9 Cursed Scroll is $50 instead of $75, when the card is so rare you aren't ever going to find it in the retailer's stock? By the same token, a serious 6x9 collector doesn't care how "cool" a 6x9 Black Lotus card is, based on rarity alone it should price out somewhere between $12 and $20, and not $30 as it goes for at Troll and Toad.

Be that as it may, if anybody else is concerned that I am overestimating the value of Radiant '99 cards based on the value that Troll and Toad places on them: assume for a moment that Troll and Toad are 100% correct and I am out of my mind, following that line of reasoning, the actual price of this set should be computed based on Troll and Toad's prices. Okay, I'm game. If you go to their website and add up their prices for 6x9's, this set would cost you $1070 to acquire. My estimate comes out to $890, and the reserve is $800... that's a 25% savings off T&T's pricing and 11% off my estimate of the set's value. Either way it's a bargain.

Do the math folks--you won't see anything like this on eBay any time soon.
Bob Flaminio assured me of the rarity of this set years ago when I completed it, and though we never discussed a price, I'm not one to gouge. I welcome anybody who thinks they can find a complete 6x9 set (or build one) for cheaper than $800 to do so. Good luck.

Here is the list of complete 6x9 sets I have seen for sale in my 10 years of collecting:
1. Mine, ending today

Thanks for your interest.
Hi Chuck.
I confirmed that it's Really difficult to get a Complete Set,I do have myself an Extra one,and I'd rather keep it than sell it :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Gary_a_Getty
Librarities Hero

Post by Gary_a_Getty » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Thanks for your opinion.

Just because I do not have the perception of the rarity of this set, I have preferred to ask for the opinions.

I can also not be in agreement with what the seller consider ( i say in general not in this particular case) , for many reasons, but sure he is right when say his price is 800$ and for less don't sell.

The fact that dragsamou is is successful to complete the set makes to hope me to succeed also I in a day.... :-D

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:19 pm

It was easier for me to get a Beta Lotus than it was to get the Radiant '99 set. In 13 1/2 years of playing and collecting, I have first-hand witnessed well over 50 Beta Lotuses at stores/at dealers/in collections/in decks etc. In this whole time, the only Radiant '99 set I have ever seen first-hand was the one I purchased through Bob's friend back in 2000(thank you again if you're still on these boards!!!).

From my experience, the three low-demand, hardest-to-find peripherable collectible items(from most to least hardest to find) in Magic's collecting history are as follows:

1. Full 6x9 set
2. Heartbreaker Hobbies Miniatures set (I still need a sealed Ley Druid if anyone has one!!!!!)
3. The original Duelist Sideboard Companions- 21 issues that preceded the Duelist and were sent to judges as a communique and official rules disseminator.

Peace, Love and Chaos...