Contacting Artists... How to do it? Help!

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Contacting Artists... How to do it? Help!

Post by Mr.C » Wed May 31, 2006 4:22 am

I'm Asking, especially to the resident artists, how they would feel about a random person calling them at home, to ask to sign cards. I ask that because many artists that do not draw for MtG anymore (ex: Cornelius Brudi), and whose email is defunct, i believe, and the oly contact info i have is a telephone number. Is that intimidating? For example, i have called up artists, and they even appreciated it, rather than emailing, but none of them were american. Should i call? Or try and find an email?

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Wed May 31, 2006 7:33 pm

I was crazy enough to call the main gallery that shows Fay Jones' artwork and ask for information.

I didn't really get anywhere, but it was rather nuts..

Gryfalia

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:55 pm

Here is my opinion (I am a non artist):

It would be very rude to call them at their home. MtG was/is business for them. You need to contact them at their place of business or at a convention.

Their lack of a working, posted email address may be an indication they don't wish to be contacted for signatures any more. (I am certain they have other email addresses, but if they haven't made them available via MtG related sites then this is what may be indicated.)

Best regards,

Rainsford

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:39 pm

I would tend to agree the cold calling someone at home will more than likely get results you will not be happy with.

In casy you have not seen the artist contact list over on the WOTC boards, I have found this useful contacting certain artists I have had need to:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=240651

Not sure how accurate ALL the data is here, but Cornelius supposed info is:

Cornelius Brudi
Mail: 2628 NE 82nd
Seattle WA, USA 98115
E-mail: cbrudi@aol.com

You might try these avenues prior to a cold call. Certain artists also can get a little elitist and will not answer direct email even. Most are cool though. There are even some that do not have websites and will ONLY sign cards in PERSON. This is true for Kev Walker:
Kev Walker
We have no current contact information for Kev Walker. Also please note that Kev does not sign cards mailed to him; he only signs cards when making appearances at events.
I did enough digging around online to at least find out that Kev lives in England and can often be haunting cons over there.

It is this reason you might need help from other members in your project quest.