2 Questions: Best way to scan foils? Japanese Coldsnap?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

2 Questions: Best way to scan foils? Japanese Coldsnap?

Post by yawg07 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:53 pm

Yes, I have been playing around with my scanner and just cant get a solid way to scan a foil and have it still be colorful.
Is there a better way other than a camera? Cameras make them very shiny, but I like the uniformity of a scan.

And I was curious if anyone had a source for foriegn (mostly Asian or Russian) Coldsnap or knew where I could get some.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:28 pm

I can get Japanese coldsnap, what do you need?

yawg07

Post by yawg07 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:34 am

Volcanon wrote:I can get Japanese coldsnap, what do you need?
4 BRAINSTORM (the theme decks), 4 Rune Snag, 4 Whiteshield Crusader, 4 JOTUN GRUNT

The grunts and the brainstorms are on top of the list. And it'd be awesome to have foil ones. But I'd need to work out costs with you before we deal :)

PM me with details!

In the meantime, I need foil scanning help :D

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:58 am

Scanning foil cards is a pain. Based upon the experience of other people I have spoken about this time and time again and my own experience, there is no easy solution. Different copies of the same card react differently according to where they are placed on the scanner and how they are rotated. In addition, the scanner model has a great influence on how scans will look like, but once again, there is no model which works excellent for all cards. Lastly, there is no definite look for foil cards, as they appear different depending how you hold them against the light. In the end, you have to decide how they should look, not how they do look.

NightBeing
Librarities Member

Re: 2 Questions: Best way to scan foils? Japanese Coldsnap?

Post by NightBeing » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:04 pm

yawg07 wrote:Yes, I have been playing around with my scanner and just cant get a solid way to scan a foil and have it still be colorful.
Is there a better way other than a camera? Cameras make them very shiny, but I like the uniformity of a scan.

And I was curious if anyone had a source for foriegn (mostly Asian or Russian) Coldsnap or knew where I could get some.
Is there such thing as Russian Coldsnap at all? None of distributors I contacted even seen it, nor any web stores in Russia, Ukraine, etc appear to carry it.

Which brings back the question I asked not long ago here, with little result -- which languages was CSP printed in?
The CheeseshireCat

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:16 pm

I've seen English and Japanese personally.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:23 pm

S-Chinese, French, and German exist.

yawg07

Post by yawg07 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:38 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:Scanning foil cards is a pain. Based upon the experience of other people I have spoken about this time and time again and my own experience, there is no easy solution. Different copies of the same card react differently according to where they are placed on the scanner and how they are rotated. In addition, the scanner model has a great influence on how scans will look like, but once again, there is no model which works excellent for all cards. Lastly, there is no definite look for foil cards, as they appear different depending how you hold them against the light. In the end, you have to decide how they should look, not how they do look.
Ah okay! Thank you very much! That sheds a little light on things. Some sellers on eBay are pretty good at it (japanese card dealers do a good job)

I would think there would/will be Russian Coldsnap! But who knows?

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:40 pm

Chinese coldsnap exists. Otherwise Big-Web wouldnt be selling it.

"" 北京語版 コールドスナップ ブースターBOX(36入) [コールドスナップ] [北京語]""""

http://www.big-web.tv/new/mtg.htm?shape ... 1&ph=shop1

Not actually a bad price, but then coldsnap sucks.

Oh and wiz made a logo for it

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h ... D%26sa%3DN

However, eBay and Yahoo both have zero russian coldsnap and neither does a google search. Hm.

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:46 am

Portuguese, too. Although noone has it, because the distributor for brazil is teh sux.