general interest in new Magic sets

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

general interest in new Magic sets

Post by Ralph Herold » Wed May 19, 2004 7:30 pm

I have noticed that the replies in the Fifth Dawn prerelease card thread are very infrequent. Therefore, I would like to know the following:

Who of you actually cares about the new card sets? Who studies the spoiler, thinks about deckbuilding, and is looking forward to playing with the new cards?

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Re: general interest in new Magic sets

Post by squt » Wed May 19, 2004 8:31 pm

I do all of those things...pre-releases are the only sanctioned tournaments I go to.

But as a collector, I know that the cards will never really have any value after they rotate out of T2, and because of the new card format the odds of them misprinting a card in any language is very low.

I'll have fun playing with some of the new cards in my casual decks, but I don't think I feel as much excitement about 5D as an avid T2 player might.

Squt

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Wed May 19, 2004 8:47 pm

As I pretty much hate the new format of magic, I really dont play much... Haven't found playing interesting since around invasion  :-/
I don't really care about the new sets at all as I only collect cards with the old design :P
I'm happy about the new sets coming out though, keeping the game alive ;)
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Wed May 19, 2004 8:52 pm

yep, I'm surprised hasbro hasn't killed it.  I wonder if cards would have any value if MTG died.   :-/
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed May 19, 2004 9:32 pm

I don't play at all, so I'm definitely in the collector category.  As such, I usually only collect sets that have rotated out of T2.  Unfortunately, with so many things to collect and organize, for regular offerings I'm just getting up to 7th Edition and the Masque Block.  At the rate I'm going, I'll never have to worry about "current" sets!   ;D
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Wed May 19, 2004 9:44 pm

As for me. I do not play at all.

I definitely not study the spoiler, think about deckbuilding or whatever.

As I do not collect Pre-release cards neither, new sets only means a bunch of new packs to obtain for me :)

Regards,
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Wed May 19, 2004 10:25 pm

As I pretty much hate the new format of magic, I really dont play much... Haven't found playing interesting since around invasion  :-/
I don't really care about the new sets at all as I only collect cards with the old design :P
I'm happy about the new sets coming out though, keeping the game alive ;)
Muldoon, we could be a doppelganger.
i have the same thought as you.

only care bout the pre-release cards.

See my sig
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed May 19, 2004 10:44 pm

I used to study the spoilers far more avidly.  I soon realized that getting 3 random packs does not require that much effort.  Now I will just casually read through the spoiler, sort of like browsing a magazine looking for anything interesting to read on, plus to get a genral sense of color strengths and weaknesses.  I mainly go to pre-releases just to get a chance to play as this is the only format I don't care to miss, plus you get a shiny new pre-release card for your collection!  I'll hit a FNM or sealed event once in awhile, but only if I have nothing better to do on a Friday night.  As most here, I am more of a collector than player, which I believe will mostly be the case for members here.  As far as what I collect when a new set comes out, I only get the pre-release card and then the set itself in mint condition.  I do hand assemble my sets as this is something I have always done and is a small point to boast on.  I'll typically get 1 or 2 boxes of the new set to get the core of the set from and trade/buy for the rest.  squt made a good point on card value of the sets.  They will depreciate in value after T2 rotates out, unless a card sees core T1 or Extended play (like Morphling or Intuition).   One point most have failed to touch on is I really am eager to see the new artwork.  Especially John Avon and Matthew Wilson who are my favorites.  

misterpid
Legendary World's Toughest Milkman

Post by misterpid » Wed May 19, 2004 11:05 pm

I am a casual player at best.  I play some 5 color and go to a few sealed tournaments now and then - mostly to catch up with people I haven't seen in a while.  I have no interest in rushing to get any information about new sets as quickly as I can.  When there's a buzz about something, I eventually find out about it, but it rarely affects me and/or my playing in any way.

Stu
Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Wed May 19, 2004 11:08 pm

Since I had a large number of my cards stolen years ago(my playing decks), I have not played since about the Urza cycle or so.
I used to play all the time with Red being my staple color and building decks to go with it.  As such, I still had many Red cards left when my decks were taken, so I started collecting Red (and Land) cards.  Since then I have not really cared about playing again, but I look forward all the time to seeing what Red/Land cards are released all the time.
As for the pre-release cards, that also is not a big deal to me, unless of course it is a Red/Land card.  I started collecting the pre-release cards with the release of the foreign language cards, and have kept getting them - though I have not bothered with the cards prior to the language cards.

I just want to get the cards, stick them in my binder, and then not worry about them again until either a new set comes out - or a promo card gets released that is Red/Land of course.
Oct 30, away until further notice

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Wed May 19, 2004 11:28 pm

yep, I'm surprised hasbro hasn't killed it.  I wonder if cards would have any value if MTG died.   :-/
Hey Cereal-

You mean Magic?  Are you kidding?  It's still a huge money maker.  $3.69 for 15 pieces of paper?  $$$

And if past CCGs' failure is any indication, the value of cards would drop dramatically if the MTG was discontinued.  Luckily it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime in the next 3 years.

squt

kitzune
Librarities Member

Post by kitzune » Wed May 19, 2004 11:31 pm

I'm not keen on the new card sets, but that could be because of the layout.

I used to read spoilers for possible additions to casual decks when I still played.  Now that I'm just a collector, I only glance through for possible additions to the collection.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Wed May 19, 2004 11:31 pm

i view myself more as a collector, too, only playing with friends, on an informal basis.  i've never done any sort of pre-release tournament, FNM, arena, or whatever.
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Thu May 20, 2004 1:09 am

I do, definitely.  Though to be honest Fifth Dawn doesn't look particularly exciting.

--- SPOILERS ---

Even with my domain deck, Sunburst doesn't seem practical, except possibly for the Engineered Explosives.  Scry is useful, but rather boring.  So I don't know that the set is very exciting.  The most exciting card, Relentless Rats, is uncommon.  Which is simply absurd for a 40-of.

Tahngarth

Post by Tahngarth » Thu May 20, 2004 2:49 am

Me personally, I do play magic regularley. I´m a quite heavy Vintage-Player and also play Constructed/Limited.

Concerning 5th dawn, I didn´t study the spoiler in detail but I looked at the rares just to get a feeling for the new set. I will attend the Prerelease for playing and trading purposes and surely also because of the Prerelease Foil as I´m a Promo foil collector.

Concerning collecting I´m a bit of a "poser". I like my favorite decks being full of rare and cool cards. For example one of my pet decks is/was Welder Mud and nearly every card possible is beta, foil, asian or asian foil. So every new set is exciting for me as there are some cards that will see constructed play and are worth getting in asian/foil. ;)

just my 0.02