Everything else about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

bayard8

Post by bayard8 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi everyone.

For my first post, I want to just introduce myself. My name's Jack. (bayard8) I've been a long time collector/player since the 4th edition (when I was in high school). Took a hiatus for about 15 years due to medical schooling/residency training and in general life. and recently got back into the collecting aspect of magic. I bought a relative clean set of unlimited P9 set about 2-3 years ago for investment sake and recently got them graded. Got my very first bgs 9.5 mox pearl and got hooked into collecting cards.

My current goal is to get a set of bgs 9.5 unlimited p9. currently have 6/9 of them 9.5s so doing pretty well. (Thanks for abugames and Matt from Canada for some of the cards.) recently met another guy with a very clean set of alphas and decided I want to get into collecting a set of alphas as well.

I'll be lurking around in the forum mostly and will get involve in buying a few cards (if the price is right). Hope to be talking to some of you guys and girls.

Thanks,
Bayard.

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: New Member

Post by dragsamou » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:24 pm

bayard8 wrote:Hi everyone.

For my first post, I want to just introduce myself. My name's Jack. (bayard8) I've been a long time collector/player since the 4th edition (when I was in high school). Took a hiatus for about 15 years due to medical schooling/residency training and in general life. and recently got back into the collecting aspect of magic. I bought a relative clean set of unlimited P9 set about 2-3 years ago for investment sake and recently got them graded. Got my very first bgs 9.5 mox pearl and got hooked into collecting cards.

My current goal is to get a set of bgs 9.5 unlimited p9. currently have 6/9 of them 9.5s so doing pretty well. (Thanks for abugames and Matt from Canada for some of the cards.) recently met another guy with a very clean set of alphas and decided I want to get into collecting a set of alphas as well.

I'll be lurking around in the forum mostly and will get involve in buying a few cards (if the price is right). Hope to be talking to some of you guys and girls.

Thanks,
Bayard.
Hi Jack

Welcome to the forum.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:28 pm

Yes, Welcome!

Tav

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Welcome onboard, expensive hobby you have there, hope doctoring pays better in wherever you are than it does here :)

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: New Member

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:16 am

Welcome aboard Bayard. Now that you are infected, it will spread and UL P9 will just be the first symptom....

Glad to have you, and enjoy

Gary

bayard8 wrote:Hi everyone.
Bayard.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

bayard8

Post by bayard8 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:25 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Globe: heh doctoring in USA pays pretty decent depending on the specialty you're in. i'm not poor but i'm not particularly rich either so watching my spending. and of course always looking for a deal. :)

Gary: I know what you mean. boooo. it has already bitten me with my recent acquisition of a few alpha bgs cards. hopefully it doesn't spread more than that though.

bayard

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi Bayard!

Glad you're now on the forum. Good luck with those cards, but most importantly, be patient!

Matt

bayard8

Post by bayard8 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 am

Matt!,

Howdy partner! Thanks for the cards and for the advice. You know I partially blame you for getting me into this expensive hobby. :)

Bayard

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 am

Haha! I guess everybody can think of someone to blame for getting into collecting. I'm dropping all my collections to get into Summer. Yeah I know, I'm a masochist haha!

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:48 am

matts46570 wrote:Haha! I guess everybody can think of someone to blame for getting into collecting...
Just think how much money and time I would have back if I could just go into the past and say...

"Why would I want to play a card game where you have to buy the cards separately? I can play solitaire on my computer for nothing!"

instead of,

"Yeah, I have a few minutes before I have to catch the train, why not?"

bayard8

Post by bayard8 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:09 am

Matt: Yikes brave soul indeed. summers cards are how many more times more expensive than alphas?

Global: Hmm I'm still early in my collecting. Maybe I still have time to bail out.....

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:46 am

Bayard,

Well it's not really comparable, but to give you an idea, an ungraded crap common fetches between 100-125$. However there's no P9, but all the duals are there. Cards like Birds of Paradise, Sol Ring, Shivan Dragon are really hard to get and cost more raw than any BGS 9.5 Alpha ones. It's damn expensive, but the challenge to get cards like these drives one's motivation!
Unlimited collector! Please pm me if you have any BGS 9.5 or very good-looking ungraded cards to trade or sell!

bayard8

Post by bayard8 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Wow I thought i was crazy to start collecting bgs alphas but damn. good luck with it, Matt.
Current Goals:
Alpha BGS 9+ set 166/295 ; 9.37 overall grade.
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ha_2295872
Unlimited 9.5 bgs p9 set 9/9
If you have any 9.5 cards to offer, please pm or email me at bayard8@gmail.com

Jmaschme
Librarities Member

Post by Jmaschme » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:37 pm

bayard8 welcome to collecting Alphas. I also collect Alphas and basically everything else too. It is a very expensive hobby but the challenge of finding that next card makes it fun and rewarding. I have a lot of extra graded cards from each set. I'm not one for deals though as I have generally paid top dollar to build my set. You can see some of my Alpha trade cards on the registry but some others are not there like 9.5s of Berserk, Hurricane, Blessing, and a Mox Emerald. I also have quite a few extra 9s, some of which are hard to find. I have lots of extra Beta and Unlimited cards too. Send me a pm if you are interested.

bayard8

Post by bayard8 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi Jmaschme!

I saw your beckett profile and know you are one crazy hardcore collector! I know collecting such rarities are not gonna be any "deals" around. I think as long as it's a fair price then I can live with it. I'll give you a pm and we can talk.

Bayard.
Current Goals:
Alpha BGS 9+ set 166/295 ; 9.37 overall grade.
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ha_2295872
Unlimited 9.5 bgs p9 set 9/9
If you have any 9.5 cards to offer, please pm or email me at bayard8@gmail.com