A note to the first editions collectors - trimmed Beta cards

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

A note to the first editions collectors - trimmed Beta cards

Post by Alifromcairo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Hi Members
A seller located in Germany has listed several "Alpha cards" with rounded corners for sale this summer on a famous auction site last month. Seller shows 100% feedback.
In the batch of cards there was a Force of Nature showing 4 green mana symbols instead of GGGG.
I sent an email to the seller and he replyied apparently sincerly that he has owned the cards since 1995, that he did not know and that these cards were sold to him as Alphas. His scans on the website are not of good quality and therefore these cards look like real Alphas at first sight.
He removed the listed cards after this.
Unfortunately he came back this week with several auctions on the so-called Alpha cards. There was an Elvish Archers listed showing 2/1 instead of 1/2 with the rounded corners. Sent an email again and told me that he was not aware of this as he was trying to sell the cards for his son. Also told me that he's going to his local LGS to inspect the cards with a "professional" to get an advice. He told me that he was going to remove the cards. In fact he has remove the Elvish Archers only and all the other cards are still listed with several bids. Nothing to big but there is a Balance with a BIN price. All the cards borders look like cut the same way. Rebacked or trimmed Beta cards IDK, this is sad because these cards are going to be desplayed amongst collectors (or speculators...).
Be cautious
Visit the Shores of Imagination

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Re: A note to the first editions collectors - trimmed Beta cards

Post by thulnanth » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:27 pm

Wow, that's too bad... thanks for the heads-up.
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Re: A note to the first editions collectors - trimmed Beta cards

Post by BillBo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:17 am

Alifromcairo wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:39 pm
Be cautious
Thx, we shall!
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128