what do you collect

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Lord_of_Llanowar

Re: what do you collect

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:13 am

danm, very cool, i wish i had that many llanowar elves

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:46 am

I used to have a sizeable Lightning Bolt collection.  In fact I made it a point to sweep the college town I was in of all Lightning Bolts that could be found for months.  After awhile I actually created a deprivation in the area and refused to sell any I had.  This was pre-eBay, so people actually had to drive out of town to get anyt. 8)

Well that was then, but I recently sold them as I got offer $1 for each!

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:58 am

1 dollar each??? :D
you can easily get 2 euro`s here in the netherlands :D

silver.paladin

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:59 am

mintcollector wrote:I used to have a sizeable Lightning Bolt collection.  In fact I made it a point to sweep the college town I was in of all Lightning Bolts that could be found for months.  After awhile I actually created a deprivation in the area and refused to sell any I had.  This was pre-eBay, so people actually had to drive out of town to get anyt. 8)

Well that was then, but I recently sold them as I got offer $1 for each!
We sort of have the same thing happening here in Alberta, Canada.  Can't find bolts anywhere, and if you find someone who has them, normally have to pay $1-2 each.  Luckily, I have lots, so I need not buy  :)
We also have a shortage of Serra Angel's, as an employee at our largest Magic dealer here in Calgary was buying every Angel he came across.  For a while, Angels were worth about $20 each.  Not sure what the local market costs are anymore, but it was high for a bit.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:20 am

well, 4th-8th serras i can easily get for 5 euro
revised and pre of course a little more expensive, but unless you mean a/b/u thats very expensive.
talking about expensive
recently went to a shop in amsterdam called the gamekeeper
as i checked a few of the prices i checked enough
priest of titania 5 euro(euros are more then dollars)
bayou revised exc/nm(25 euro)
and more of that redicilous high prices

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:50 am

Lord_of_Llanowar, Are you sure you can get 5 euro's for Priest of Titianna's. I'd be willing to send some and if you can sell them for that much I'll give you 1 euro a piece for selling them and send me the rest.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:35 pm

sylvanstu: You misunderstood me, I cant get that prices, otherwise i would have bought them in bulk in america, that particular store was asking such prices
Most prices he asked of good cards(and older cards like legends) where about 50-250% higher as you normally buy them

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:27 am

My point is that either a single person or group of people can have an influence on the local card economy.  

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:38 am

So true. Where I live, back in the pre-ebay days, there was a guy who collected Ball Lightnings & ripped them up. He hated the card, he had been beaten too many times by it.

He would trade with someone to get their Ball Lightnings, and much to their suprise (the first time they witnessed it), he'd rip it up in front of them, pull out a long box & throw it in there. In the box were several hundred ripped up Ball Lightnings. After I got over the shock I found it funny.

I still have a playset of 4th edition Ball Lightnings I have held onto for years. And even though I haven't seen him in forever, it is a difficult card to find here.

blackfire100

Post by blackfire100 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:11 pm

fvzappa: where do you live? i would hate to meet up with this anti-ball lightning guy. i am a big fan of the card and i like to collect all that i can.right now i have somewhere around 50-60 of them, and when i went to states recently, i was looking for them and there were none to be had. lol

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:08 pm

I hope you don't tear your Ball Lightnings up! :-/

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.

Also in my town there is a guy who has 14,000+ Gaea's Leige cards. I hope no one else out there collects that card... Actually, feel free to trade them to me, he'd love to get more!

magicdude

Post by magicdude » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:40 pm

I collect ALL commons from ALL sets in ALL languages.

It's a cheap way to keep collecting for years and years!
Commons are cheap and it takes VERY long to complete a set (although I will probably NEVER get a complete set of the expensive Summer Magic Commons - I now have 23 of them, 20 of which are different!)

Besides that, I also collect Misprints (any type of misprint in any numbers).

Tenacious_Dyl

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:33 am

I at one point, was obsessed with Antiquities cards (only original, bb, english). I bought EVERY card my local store had from the edition, raided their 'unsorted' box, and raided about 85% of the people's trade/for-sale binders that attend... shortly after, people needing cards such as original Strip Mines, Candelabra of Tawnos, and Mishra's Factory, realized they had to pay me a lot ;-) or find them out of town. Sadly, due to a lack of money on my part, I sold most of my Antiquities collection. Including a minty signed (Winter) Mishra's Factory (signed by Kaja AND Phil :-( ).

So yes, I agree with mintcollector, you can easily effect your local card economy. Without a doubt :-)

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:15 am

I sent 2 mint beta gaea's leiges to some collector on MOTL for free.  Wonder if it was the same guy.  It's all about karma  :D

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:22 am

No, he's not a MOTL member, but perhaps the guy who you sent them to is an aquantance of his.