Square-cut cards

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Tha_Gunslinga

Square-cut cards

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:49 am

How common are these?  I believe Erl00 pulled some P3K Square-cut cards a while back, and I've seen a few on Ebay.  I have 2:
Marsh Viper (Dark)
Dark Maze (HL, played)

The Viper I bought on MOTL, and the Maze I found in a lot of bulk commons/uncommons that I purchased.  Does anyone have any, or know anything about values?

Erl00

Re: Square-cut cards

Post by Erl00 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:11 am

Hello,

Yes, I pulled 5 commons with 4 square corners out of a P3K pack a year ago.

Cards with square corners are pretty rare but not impossible to find. I would say we see one per two weeks in average on eBay.

As far as value is concerned, I would say that a $0 value card is worth about $4-6 when corners are square.

Just my opinion,
Regards,
Eric.

Tha_Gunslinga

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:19 am

How exactly do they occur?  I mean, normally cards get their corners cut off, so how do these escape?  On a similar note, what happens to all the cut-off corner pieces?

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:00 am

tha_gunslinga wrote:How exactly do they occur?  I mean, normally cards get their corners cut off, so how do these escape?  On a similar note, what happens to all the cut-off corner pieces?
I have absolutely no clue what happen to the cut-off corner. Trash I suppose ...

How does this occur? Well I suppose that cutting is a two-step process (firstcut into square cards, then cut corners) and that sometimes the second step fails.

Jamesbond has a very funny card. It is squre-cut BUT only on one side. You can clearly see the corners cut on one side and not on the other ...

Regards,
Eric.

rick21n

Post by rick21n » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:57 am

For a picture.

Two Square Corners 8th Ed Foil Shifting Sky:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=49185

magicdude

Post by magicdude » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:49 pm

tha_gunslinga wrote:How common are these?  I believe Erl00 pulled some P3K Square-cut cards a while back, and I've seen a few on Ebay.  I have 2:
Marsh Viper (Dark)
Dark Maze (HL, played)

The Viper I bought on MOTL, and the Maze I found in a lot of bulk commons/uncommons that I purchased.  Does anyone have any, or know anything about values?
I have 29  :o square-cut T-Chinese P3K-commons (28 different ones, I've got 2 Barbarian Hordes). I bought about 20 T-Chinese P3K-boosters about a year and a half ago. Not only did several boosters contain 1-3 extra commons (which was a nice bonus for me as a collector of ALL commons from ALL sets in ALL languages), but several boosters even contained (only) square-cut commons (only commons).
I used to have 30, but I gave a square-cut Forest Bear to Gus Hoogendijk, a dutch level 4 judge, for his rather special Bear-deck (each card shows at least 1 bear, either because of the original art or because of an artist modification).
Other than these square-cut cards, I've never seen ANY (in real life).

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:59 pm

Troll & Toad seem to have opened a few deck of square-corner cards.

*Goes to look for the URL and notices the new home page ... Nice ...*

http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/ca ... _1041_1024

Some of them also have an upside-down back. They are pretty cool too (I purchased one)

:)
Eric.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:57 pm

i looked a little, and it seems only to happen on foils

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:39 am

lord_of_llanowar wrote:i looked a little, and it seems only to happen on foils
No, because I have one French Revised BB Swords to LPowshares with 1 square corner, 1 revised Stream of Life with 1 Square corner and we already mentioned the 4 square corners P3K cards.
T&T must have opened a series of boxes containing the foils from the same sheet, which was not cut correctly.

agzz

Post by agzz » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:26 am

i think he ment the upside-down thing.
i've only have/had/seen them in foil.

.peter

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:59 pm

I have a few upside down backs, that aren't foil. Also, as far as square corners go, I have a few. One has indentations on the corners, as if they tried to cut but just didn't quite do it.

Another interesting card (I have a few, actually) is cards that have the front picture stamped over the back. In other words, one side looks completely normal w/ a typical front, & the other side has another "front" stamped over the back. Unfortunatly, these double stamped cards are horrible FE cards.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:27 am

fvzappa, you have some cards that id love to have, i collect misprint(ok dont have that much, not enoguh cash :D)
but i quess you value those high? let me know

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:47 am

In all honesty, I have been going to this site because I am about to get a very large misprint collection from a friend (give it a few weeks). I have some of his misprints, but he has a TON of them. You name it, he's got it. He quit a few years back, & I stepped up to the plate....

Anyhow, I've a few on my hands already, but not much in comparison to what i'm getting. And, from what I already own & got from him, nonrarity-wise, I have quite an expensive collection. Long story short: my wants list has shrunk, my haves have grown. I have a playset of Alpha/ Beta dual lands for pete's sake....I never thought I'd see the day.

You may want to wait until I get his misprints, I'll have a better idea what I want to part with because I'll have duplicates. We could trade then.

maelstrom_swe

Post by maelstrom_swe » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:50 am

fvzappa wrote:I have a few upside down backs, that aren't foil. Also, as far as square corners go, I have a few. One has indentations on the corners, as if they tried to cut but just didn't quite do it.

Another interesting card (I have a few, actually) is cards that have the front picture stamped over the back. In other words, one side looks completely normal w/ a typical front, & the other side has another "front" stamped over the back. Unfortunatly, these double stamped cards are horrible FE cards.
I am interested in all of these cards. If you want, you can look at my "I want your misprints" thread and see if you find anything you like.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:18 am

fvzappa wrote:In all honesty, I have been going to this site because I am about to get a very large misprint collection from a friend (give it a few weeks). I have some of his misprints, but he has a TON of them. You name it, he's got it. He quit a few years back, & I stepped up to the plate....

Anyhow, I've a few on my hands already, but not much in comparison to what i'm getting. And, from what I already own & got from him, nonrarity-wise, I have quite an expensive collection. Long story short: my wants list has shrunk, my haves have grown. I have a playset of Alpha/ Beta dual lands for pete's sake....I never thought I'd see the day.

You may want to wait until I get his misprints, I'll have a better idea what I want to part with because I'll have duplicates. We could trade then.
btw, i noticed you want many summer magic too,
you prob allready know that www.gfmailorder.nl has many commons at about 20euro each, and also a bunch of good rares
and a blue hurricane for 4700(not to expensive i think)