GlobalBoosterHunter's Global Boosters

Web Galleries of Individual Members Collections

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, mystical_tutor

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

GlobalBoosterHunter's Global Boosters

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Figured I had better get my boosters into some sort of order because I seem to be doubling up by mistake!

I got a chance to pull them all out and have a look at them. Each booster is foreign and each booster is different, about 380 in the picture.

The English language versions are currenty in albums.

The boosters I collected when I was playing are still in the UK, along with a lot of the Magic Card Market packages which didn't make it to Australia.

I have a nice chunk of boosters on their way from a member here, a couple of trades in the pipeline and a contact in Japan who is going to go hunting for me too!

Next step is to decide how to integrate the foreign with the English.

I intend to have each of the same wrapper together so you can see the differences, ordered in year the language was added.

I hate spaces in albums, it usually means something is missing, trouble is, if you run them all together and leave no spaces, someone comes up with a new variety and you have to move every booster one space along.

Added to that, I can get 6 boosters to a page, great for Homelands but just about all the others will need more or less pages. I am thinking of filling the pages by block, starting a new page for each block. That way if I come across any new additions I only need to move 100 at most!

The only spaces will be on the last page so it shouldn't be too off putting. Maybe when Wizards stops making them and I have stopped collecting I will reorganise them without any spaces but until then...

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Beautiful photo!! Image

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks, I was balancing on a chair, couldn't get them all in other way.

Most of the other pictures came out blurry but there was no way I was going to get them all out again!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: GlobalBoosterHunter's Global Boosters

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:I hate spaces in albums, it usually means something is missing, trouble is, if you run them all together and leave no spaces, someone comes up with a new variety and you have to move every booster one space along.

Added to that, I can get 6 boosters to a page, great for Homelands but just about all the others will need more or less pages. I am thinking of filling the pages by block, starting a new page for each block. That way if I come across any new additions I only need to move 100 at most!

The only spaces will be on the last page so it shouldn't be too off putting. Maybe when Wizards stops making them and I have stopped collecting I will reorganise them without any spaces but until then...
Thanks for that picture. That is awesome!

I ran into this problem rather seriously when I started putting the tips/tokens in binders (English only). Few have the same number of combos. What is discusting is when a combo has just enough for a full page + 1. For me there is no solution that I like. The best I came up with was to fill the empty spots with pieces of construction paper of a color I like and use white fillers for the slots that truely are missing something. I have no real answer to what to do when you get new information and need to "move". I would think boosters are a little more definitive though as information has been out for a long time on what was printed.

Best of luck and let us know what you come up with.

Gary

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:37 pm

mystical_tutor wrote: ... I would think boosters are a little more definitive though as information has been out for a long time on what was printed.

Gary
There is always something! CHaPuZaS found some English boosters with French text, apparently made for the Canadian market. Now we have to look back to see when these first came out. I may even have some already but I might have to source of replacements.

I like the idea of blanking out the empty places. I was going to have a photocopy of the booster with the language or flag on it as a placeholder for ones I need to get.

I was hoping to add info such as, year of issue, number of countries, anything else I can shake out of Wikipaedia. Maybe I can print it out onto cardsized paper an insert them in the gaps.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:44 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
...Thanks for that picture. That is awesome...!
I still have a few places saved for some Korean!

Still a work in progress, some sets I nearly have 1 for each language but they are spread out all over the place. It would be nice to have demonstration model set up.

I was actually hoping to complete the English language set before moving on to the Global set, never mind, it will keep me busy!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Mark;

I'm sorry, your post about Korean boosters and other things is lost to me for some reason. I have been going to ask you to send me another but it has been Income Tax time here and I have been very occupied.

Taxes are in. Please send me another post. I can get you Korean and Innistrad and DA boosters but not M-12 (I don't think). I can give you a personal contact address in Korea that "might" respond to a request for M-12 boosters.

Gary

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:
...Thanks for that picture. That is awesome...!
I still have a few places saved for some Korean!

Still a work in progress, some sets I nearly have 1 for each language but they are spread out all over the place. It would be nice to have demonstration model set up.

I was actually hoping to complete the English language set before moving on to the Global set, never mind, it will keep me busy!
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:44 am

That is an awesome photo! :)

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:44 am

I still have the English ones to add!

I will need a bigger living room if I want to lay them all out.

I now have a full global set of homelands so I will be able to try some different layouts to see how the rest of the set will be displayed.

I should probably take some scans of each booster before they get filed in their final resting place but doing over 1000 scans, then organising and labelling them seems like a lot of hard work especially as I have no intention of getting a website or making an ebook.

I am also thinking of taking them out of the polypropylene bags before I put them in the albums. The bags were to prevent handling damage but once in the albums they will not be handled ever again (unless I have to move them along)

GlobalBoosterHunter

Update

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:13 am

Well, it has been a day for decisions.

Do I display the boosters by language or by expansion?

By language would probably be easier, the English albums are already done. Most of the others are grouped by languages as well.

However, by expansion would allow me to put the same boosters next to each other so you can see the differences. The downside being that at only six boosters to a page, the only boosters which will display well will be Homelands and the 'Scaled Wurm' from Ice Ages. Every other set will have half the page empty (Chronicles) or will spill over onto a second page and leave most of that empty.

Anyway, first attempt is an easy start...

I have to say, if I was grading the flags, they would not do well. Even the American flag is poorly centred, it was an American company which made them so you would think they would take a bit more pride in it!

I stuck the flags on the outside of the pockets for ease but I think they will get a little worn in time.

Second attempt...

I actually sat down and trimmed the flags, and took the time to stick them inside the pockets. Very fiddly! Also, the lines around the flags are very thin, cut too close and you lose tha black border, not close enough, and you get a white line around the flag, which sticks out on the black background.

I thought the top left would be easiest place to put the stickers, but looking at it, maybe dead centre would be! Much harder to place them accurately though.

Also I might try and colour the edges of the flags, or leave a bit of a white border around them.

Maybe with smaller boosters the whole flag can be seen.

I also took all the boosters out of the cellophane bags I put them in, you can see them better and I figured while they were out I would scan them all, front and back and start a project which I can abandon half way through.

I figured I would gather them altogether and put them in an ebook so people would have a bit of a visual checklist if they ever decided to try something as daft as a global booster collection.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:47 am

What type of 6 pocket pages are you using ? Never saw those before.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:44 am

Safe albums' Page for Medals/Decorations (Model: 5472)

http://www.safealbums.co.uk/Zen/index.p ... ts_id=2103

Nice fit, nothing falls out if the album is held upside-down, a little tight for some of the boosters with loose wrappers, like 4th Ed.

Pack of 10 transparent pages for £8.95

6 pockets per page

Pocket Size:- 148 x 72 mm

I think it is a German company.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:05 pm

That's correct, Safe is a German company. I used their albums for stamps mostly.

You can buy these at Stamps dealers I think.

Thanks for the tip, it will be very helpful.

axcel
Librarities Member

Post by axcel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 am

GlobalBoosterHunter, you got your Homelands wrong.

Terras Natais is Portuguese, while Tierras Natales is Spanish.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:07 pm

axcel wrote:GlobalBoosterHunter, you got your Homelands wrong.

Terras Natais is Portuguese, while Tierras Natales is Spanish.
I know! It is very embarrassing!

I am slowly learning to tell the difference but I keep forgetting. I am going to write it all down somewhere as a reference, I did have it written down somewhere but I lost it on the pile of junk on my desk.

I expect I will make a few more mistakes as I get the collection sorted so I will be asking lots of questions along the way!

Thanks!
Mark