Unknown misprint?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Unknown misprint?

Post by ende73 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:13 am

Hello,

the italian version of Tempest Drake from the Visions set is called Draghetto delle Tempeste: http://magiccards.info/vi/it/139.html

A friend of mine (a reputable MTG dealer for years) came across this version that he scanned for me : Draghetto della Tempesta .

This seems very interesting since I believe this card was only in Visions and not included in any box sets or introductory versions etc.

Is this a known misprint? Any thoughts on origins and possible value?

Thanks
ende73

SCAN:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Unknown misprint?

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:01 pm

ende73 wrote:Hello,

the italian version of Tempest Drake from the Visions set is called Draghetto delle Tempeste: http://magiccards.info/vi/it/139.html

Thanks
ende73
Hi Enrico

First thing that comes to my mind, is that sometimes Magiccards.info doesn't translate in a proper way, did you have a chance to see others Italian Tempest Drake? Then, it can be a translation that was wrong and then get corrected in another printing, this happened for others cards.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Its just one of the many typos on magiccards.info

Most of the older informations were entered manually...

But i did some google and found this, now the quest begins ](*,)

ende73

Post by ende73 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Hello,

yes I posted because I know that typically the card physically exists as Draghetto delle Tempeste (even though I don't own one myself and can't scan it, I'll ask my friend if he has regular ones to show here) It's this scanned version that's different from usual.

Of course the possibility is that the very first print runs of italian Visions had this mistake which was then corrected on further print runs, but is this plausible ?

I'm saying this also because it's interesting to note that the mistake is really irrelevant in the italian language (literally the card as we know it is Drake of the Storms and this scanned version is Drake of the Storm, but the italian is correct both ways), so I really wouldn't know why they'd so badly want to correct it. Maybe because that specific name was infringing a copyrighted name from another game/book etc. ? :-k

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:24 pm

ende73 wrote:Hello,

yes I posted because I know that typically the card physically exists as Draghetto delle Tempeste (even though I don't own one myself and can't scan it, I'll ask my friend if he has regular ones to show here) It's this scanned version that's different from usual.

Of course the possibility is that the very first print runs of italian Visions had this mistake which was then corrected on further print runs, but is this plausible ?

I'm saying this also because it's interesting to note that the mistake is really irrelevant in the italian language (literally the card as we know it is Drake of the Storms and this scanned version is Drake of the Storm, but the italian is correct both ways), so I really wouldn't know why they'd so badly want to correct it. Maybe because that specific name was infringing a copyrighted name from another game/book etc. ? :-k
Hi Enrico

I can't help with Italian story of name changing cards as I own so few Italian cards. I don't buy the infringement possibility, but I may be wrong, it's not so badly correcting a card, once in a while, they spot a Mistake onto a MTG Card, and just correct it on another printing. For you to find out which version is the rare one, I went through the same with a Portal Second Age French card, All the cards are misprints, and then I find a normal one, I was puzzled, didn't find another one, over the 250 that I look at :-O
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ende73

Post by ende73 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:36 am

Hello, here are scans of 2 typical Drakes that my friend has:

I was not aware that this type of intra-set variation was common (the only example I was aware of is the famous Japanese Tempest Cursed Scroll, with about 30% correct 3-Tap versions and 70% wrong 2-Tap versions - if I recall correctly, even though now I see that Squt's website lists more such as JAP Mirage Grasslands etc.).

Once again, it's curious that they did correct this Italian Visions mistake inbetween print runs, since it's not really even a mistake as I noted above (contrary to the JAP Scroll!). Other mistakes such as Italian Mirrodin Pentavus missing a line of text were not corrected for example.

A small proposal: to the extent that some of these variations are pretty rare (e.g. the less than 1 in 250 ratio Alexis spotted on a French Portal card - by the way, which card?) it might be interesting to compile a list and treat them as rarities in a specific section.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:13 am

ende73 wrote: A small proposal: to the extent that some of these variations are pretty rare (e.g. the less than 1 in 250 ratio Alexis spotted on a French Portal card - by the way, which card?) it might be interesting to compile a list and treat them as rarities in a specific section.
Hi Enrico

Natural Spring French Portal Second Age. Misprint version is with Green ink in the 3 of mana cost. Normal Version Ultra Rare is without green ink.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Since today i also own one of these "dellA TempestA" Drakes. Got them from a friend who also has one.
So i suppose, there was an early Print run of Italain visions, which got changed later for still unknown reasons ?
Or did they maybe print a small portion in italy ( as they did for italian Renaissance and so on), while the regular cards already came from Belgium ?

In Addition to the difference in the name, the "dellA TempestA" version has a shorter dash in Flavor Text before Kaervek.

This topic is still a mystery....

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Could it be a media insert?
Could it be a preview card given to retailers, Like Norritt was for Ice Age?

This was also around the time that Carta Mundi was greatly expanding, this is how we have glossy and non-glossy Mirage cards. Maybe that explains why there would be 2 different print runs.

Is this the only card in the set with "delle" in the name? Could there be others?

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Very good idea, but thats some work to do

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:02 pm

sorry to necro this post. I just realized Visions Uncommon sheet is 110 cards and each of the 55 UC is 2x on it. This would in theory simply allow to have both versions of Tempest drake on each sheet. We have seen this happening for other ( small ) sets as well. e.g. T-CH Foil Apocalypse has 2 Versions of Shimmering Mirage and T-CH Foil Torment has 2 Versions of Waste Away. I just wonder, why there are so few Della Tempesta Drakes then, when in theory 50 % should be like this ?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:16 am

mmgun wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:02 pm
sorry to necro this post. I just realized Visions Uncommon sheet is 110 cards and each of the 55 UC is 2x on it. This would in theory simply allow to have both versions of Tempest drake on each sheet. We have seen this happening for other ( small ) sets as well. e.g. T-CH Foil Apocalypse has 2 Versions of Shimmering Mirage and T-CH Foil Torment has 2 Versions of Waste Away. I just wonder, why there are so few Della Tempesta Drakes then, when in theory 50 % should be like this ?
My theory it wasn't on the Italian Visions sheet printed in Belgium by Carta Mundi, but it was maybe offered as a Preview/Promo card in some CCG Italian magazines. Other similar situations of this kind have occured in the past (I'm working on a similar case).
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.