What were the Ice Age, Chronicles, Homelands Promo Cards?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

What were the Ice Age, Chronicles, Homelands Promo Cards?

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Ice Age, Chronicles, and Homelands each had some promotional cards released. I think these were all media inserts. They are indistinguishable from regular printed cards from that set.

This link contains a reference to their existance. http://www.usc.edu/dept/Deckmasters/arc ... oil-al.txt

Because my collection is organized chronologicaly and these cards should be easy to find, I'd like to insert a page of these in the apropriate location of my binder.

The Ice Age cards were...
Aurochs
Balduvian Barbarians
Bone Shaman
Chub Toad
Dire Wolves
Essence Flare
Flygja
Gaze of Pain
Gorilla Pack
Norritt
Prismatic Ward
Scaled Wurm
Word of Undoing
The creation of these cards as promotional is why Fylgja & Prismatic Ward use the old white mana symbol instead of the new one like the rest of Ice Age.

Does anyone know what the 3 Chronicles or 3 Homelands promotional cards were?

UPDATE:
Chronicles = Dakkon Blackblade, Fallen Angel, Johan
Homelands = Apocalypse Chime, Baron Sengir, Feroz's Ban

Tav
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:27 pm

It looks like 2 of the Chronicles cards may have been Dakkon Blackblade & Johan, although I'm not sure if these were from before or after Chronicles was released.

The Dakkon Blackblade is a single issue comic published in 199? by Armada Comics. The issue included the card Dakkon Blackblade from Chronicles.

The Dakkon Blackblade #1 Comic — Dakkon Blackblade
The Legend of Jedit Ojanen is a two part mini-series comic book published in 1996 by Armada Comics. The first issue included the card Johan from Chronicles.

The Legend of Jedit Ojanen #1 Comic — Johan

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks Alexis, that helped a lot!

It looks like the Homelands promotional cards were Apocalypse Chime, Baron Sengir, & Feroz Ban. These cards were in a February 1996 comic book, which means that they were released After the Homelands set. These three cards had a short special print run just for insertion into the comics.
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:03 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:Thanks Alexis, that helped a lot!

It looks like the Homelands promotional cards were Apocalypse Chime, Baron Sengir, & Feroz Ban. This cards were in a February 1996 comic book, which means that they were released After the Homelands set. These three cards may have had a short special print run just for insertion into the comics.
Hi Tav

You're welcome, that I do remember, there was also some Ice Age Promo cards in Shadis Magazine. Regarding the Print run:
Note that the IA/HL/CH promos are no different than the regular-issue cards, but were printed in a separate printing and thus (especially for Norritt) there are more of these than other IA commons & HL U1's.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:30 pm

This link contains some interesting info about the Ice Age promo cards Fylgja & Prismatic Ward, including the information that they were printed shortly after Jan 30 1995. Chub Toad was in a July 1995 comic book, and Bone Shaman was in an August 1995 comic book. Many of the Ice Age promos were included with Duelist Companion #8, but aparently Fylgja was not one of these. I'm not sure how you would get a promo Fylgja.

(EDIT: apparently Fylgja was included in "varios gaming-related magazines".)

Does anyone know the release date of Duelist Companion #8? It may give us some indicator of how much time passes between the finalization of card design and set release.

https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/ ... arcana/719

Tav
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:38 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:This link contains some interesting info about the Ice Age promo cards Fylgja & Prismatic Ward, including the information that they were printed shortly after Jan 30 1995. Chub Toad was in a July 1995 comic book, and Bone Shaman was in an August 1995 comic book. Many of the Ice Age promos were included with Duelist Companion #8, but aparently Fylgja was not one of these. I'm not sure how you would get a promo Fylgja.

Does anyone know the release date of Duelist Companion #8? It may give us some indicator of how much time passes between the finalization of card design and set release.

Tav
Duelist #8 December 1995
Another card from the Ice Age promo cards is Dire Wolves All Dire Wolves cards have a casting cost of 2G while the Magic Encyclopedia and Gatherer show it at 3G.
Last edited by dragsamou on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:38 pm

The Chronicles cards were Johan in a March 1996 comic book, and Dakkon Blackblade in a June 1996 comic book. Again, this would be After the Chronicles set was released in July 1995. These cards had a short special print run just for insertion into the comics.

The same article that says there are 3 Chronicles promo cards also says that all of them were released in Acclaim comic books.
Alexis has posted a pretty complete list of the comic books and their contents, so unless he is missing something, it looks like the 3rd Chronicles promo may not exist.

Tav
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:45 pm

I've also found that there are 2 Alliances promo cards. The are Phyrexian War Beast in a September 1996 comic book, & Soldevi Steam Beast in an October 1996 comic book. Again, this was After the Alliances set was released in June 1996. These cards would also have had a short special print run just for insertion into the comics.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:46 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:The Chronicles cards were Johan in a March 1996 comic book, and Dakkon Blackblade in a June 1996 comic book. Again, this would be After the Chronicles set was released in July 1995.

The same article that says there are 3 Chronicles promo cards also says that all of them were released in Acclaim comic books.
Alexis has posted a pretty complete list of the comic books and their contents, so unless he is missing something, it looks like the 3rd Chronicles promo may not exist.

Tav
Hi Tav

There's not a third Chronicles Promo that I know of, except Sol’kanar the Swamp King and Fallen Angel in Oversized 6X9 (But they could be as much from Legends)

Also this is where the Ice Age Promos were inserted:
http://mtgarchive.net/wiki/Ice_Age#Magazine_inserts
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks again Alexis, you're good at this!

Here is that list of where the Ice Age promos could be found. Each contained the listed card and a Norritt...

Pyramid #13 May Balduvian Barbarians

Non-Sport Update Vol.6 #2 March Gaze of Pain

Comic Buyer's Guide #1116 March Word of Undoing

Shadis #18 March Essence Flare

Cards Illustrated #18 April Fylgja

Scrye #7 March/April Dire Wolves

The Duelist #5 April/May Aurochs

Combo #4 April Scaled Wurm

Hero Illustrated #23 April Gorilla Pack

Wizard #45 April Prismatic Ward

It looks like the earliest Ice Age Promo was available in March. Since we know that the cards were sent to print at the end of January, that means there was about 1 month for the cards to be printed (in Belgium) and then sent to the various magazine printers for insertion. This is a relatively small print run, and I imagine it would take longer for an entire expansion set to be printed and sent to distributors.

Tav
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Norritts were sent in sealed packs of 50 to comic and gaming stores to be handed out for free to anyone who wanted one

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:22 am

dragsamou wrote:
cataclysm80 wrote:This link contains some interesting info about the Ice Age promo cards Fylgja & Prismatic Ward, including the information that they were printed shortly after Jan 30 1995. Chub Toad was in a July 1995 comic book, and Bone Shaman was in an August 1995 comic book. Many of the Ice Age promos were included with Duelist Companion #8, but aparently Fylgja was not one of these. I'm not sure how you would get a promo Fylgja.

Tav
Duelist #8 December 1995
Another card from the Ice Age promo cards is Dire Wolves All Dire Wolves cards have a casting cost of 2G while the Magic Encyclopedia and Gatherer show it at 3G.
It is interesting to remember here that Italian IA Dire Wolves are actually 3G.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:Here is that list of where the Ice Age promos could be found...

Shadis #18 March Essence Flare

Tav
There were two Ice Age promos in Shadis #18, as indicated on the magazine cover, I think the other was Norritt:

Also, old topic:

http://magiclibrarities.net/forum/viewt ... ght=shadis

I discuss that Shadis #16 has a sealed card from the Dark in silver foil. I am unsure as to which cards were possible in this "foil" 1-card pack, but I opened a Goblin Hero in one.

Additionally, there were random cards inserted in Shadis in late 1994 (not sure on issue #'s):

"In late 1994, the magazine received its biggest success by making available random Magic: The Gathering cards at a time in which booster packs of the card game were scarce, causing many players of the game to buy multiple issues of the magazine in hopes of getting a rare or out-of-print card."

I figured since you were concerned with magazine promos from older sets that these may also be of interest.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:20 pm

ende73 wrote: It is interesting to remember here that Italian Ice Age Dire Wolves are actually 3G.
That is interesting.

The English Magic production team had its hands full with the English cards, and a second production team was created to work on the foreign stuff (Revised). It looks like both teams were working from the same file for Ice Age and the foreign team missed the Dire Wolves casting cost change.

I've seen that Ice Age was the first Magic expansion released in French, German, Portuguese, & Spanish. That would mean it was released before Renaissance. If Ice Age was released before Renaissance, I wonder if Stratelibri was involved with Italian Ice Age as they had been with The Dark & Legends in Italy?

Tav
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.